Advice from apartment dwellers

Looking for speaker /amp / acoustic treatment recommendations and insights for listening at lower volumes in an NYC apartment. I listen mostly to jazz, classical, and world music, with an occasional foray into rock. Sources are a Scillia-modded AR turntable and an Oppo 105. Not really interested in headfi.

Any insights appreciated ~ thanks!
128x128mdemaio
Interesting Larryi...I was very impressed with Clayton Shaw's new Hologram M1s at this year's RMAF, which features a dipole bass driver. They have a little brother (the M2) that would be more appropriate for my space. Does dipole really make that much of a difference in this regard? Any other dipoles you can recommend?
"11-25-14: Phasecorrect
I would jump on those cdm 1se...they used a tweeter derived from.801 matrix...orig non se voted European loudspeaker of the year...Stereophilerave review...curious...under $500?"

I highly recommend that you demo the B&W's before you buy them. I have a ton of experience with that tweeter. If you have ever wanted to see what it's like to have an ice pick jammed in your ears, its as close as you'll get
Zd, I don't know what Mdemaio's budget is for speakers as that hasn't been clarified, but the Joseph Audio Pulsars would blow the Cdm-1se's out of the water. I've never really liked the B&W tweeters which are too strident for my liking. The only B&W speaker which did not display, or atleast did not noticeably display that tendency was the Nautilus. But that was a $50k speaker.
Yes, dipoles, particularly panel type dipoles can make a significant difference in sound levels outside of the sweet spot. In addition to the cancellation effect mentioned above, panel dipoles, with their large radiating surface have a number of other advantages. First, they are less like point radiators and more like a line radiator, so sound level does not fall off as rapidly with distance from the speaker. Second, line radiators have poor dispersion in the up and down direction which, again, concentrates the sound at the listening area and reduces energy elsewhere.

While I have noticed this effect with the two panel dipoles I have owned, the Martin Logan Quest and Acoustat 1+1, I have not specifically looked at this quality with other dipoles. Based purely on sound quality, I like the Magnepan 1.7 for an apartment setup--it is small for a panel, has reduced bass output (bass is the main problem with sound transmission into the structure of a building). Various Quad electrostatic speakers are also very good, not only for their dipole dispersion but because they sound very good at lower listening levels. If you can find an old Quad 57 in good working order, that is a terrific apartment speaker.

Outside of the dipole realm, there are certain speakers that are very enjoyable at surprisingly low volume levels. The best in this regard, are horn systems, but, good examples of these can be very expensive and bulky. But, there are other speakers worth looking into for lower volume listening, such as the smaller Audionote, Proac, DeVore, Spendor and Harbeth speakers.
Well, speakers are highly subjective....and the tweeter on the B&w is open, airy, and "never sizzles" according to Stereophile and .my experience...hence the $850 holding price of a 13 yr old speaker...that being said, plenty of good options at that price point