Best Complete HomeTheater USED for $5000.00

Experienced Audiophile - who want wants switch to Home theater for a while. Though I still want to enjoy my CDs on two channel ? Also whats the best / largest Plazma under $5000.00
Please help.
Thanks
128x128saffy
TVAD, ever thought of trying the center directly under your Sony, say on a floor stand?
Interesting points made from both sides of the isle. The two channel is as good or better opinions voiced would seem valid in my experience but very quickly begins to leak water.

At this ($5,000) price point I can understand the point of view that better two channel components may sound better than lesser five channel components.

Once you raise the investment to a higher level (I won't pick the level) but a good bit more than $5,000 that logic flies out the window in my experience.

The gains in two channel sound quality become very small in real terms at levels far below what many members of this site and others have invested.

I guess the thread did go off topic by a mile but many of these type threads seem to bring these same issues to the front regarding two channel/multichannel.

I would hate for anyone to get an impression from these type threads that all they need do is invest their money in a higher quality ($$$) two channel system to stay one step ahead of the game...not gonna happen in the wildest of dreams.

Rsbeck, you are way of the mark regarding the number of movies with rear surround info....about 90% off would be my guess. Some very old movies are in two channel only, I'll guess that these are the ones you watched or you expect the rear channels to stand out in the mix at all times?...this would be a poorly setup system and is the main reason people get turned off on surround music...although surround music also suffers from a high degree of poorly mixed tracks which setup will not cure.

Poster, if you would like to e-mail me I can give you a few general ideas once we get a better idea of your needs/room/and setup limitations if any.

Dave
>>The gains in two channel sound quality become very small in real terms<<

Wow -- we are definitely not going to see eye to eye.

I have way more than $5,000 tied up in my two channel system and had
exponentially more than that wrapped up in my system when it was home
theater plus two channel in one.

Obviously, I believe there are solid gains to be achieved after the $5,000
level.

And, no, I didn't expect my rear surrounds to be going wild at all times.

And, my system was properly calibrated, etc.

And, no, I didn't expect old two channel movies to be in surround.

Some really bad assumptions being made there. Think about it -- everyone
has to agree or else they must not have their system set up properly? Cannot
imagine someone with a properly set up high end multi-channel system
system disagreeing? Well, all I can say is been there done that so obviously it
is possible. My systems are listed. You can see both my two channel and
home theater systems. They are now listed separately because I've separated
them into two rooms, but they used to be in the same room. So, all you have
to do is imagine both systems combined. This is a bad assumption that
could have been avoided with a simple click of the mouse.

Finally, entering a discussion forum and asking the poster to stop listening to
divergent opinions and go to e-mail so he can listen only to one person in
private is pretty outlandish.

As I wrote before and stand by: I think we can all share our opinions here.
No one is harmed by having listened to all opinions before making a decision.
"Finally, talk about hi-jacking a thread. Inviting the poster to stop listening to
everyone else and go to e-mail so he can listen only to one person's opinion
is pretty outlandish."

Saffy has not said a word so my offer of any "general" ideas will save me a lot of work (typing) on points I know nothing about "his needs/room/and any setup limitations"

Many people e-mail me as I'm sure they do you. These e-mails sometimes cover weeks of swapping info. back and forth because one can only offer general ideas...the more, the better IMO. My opinion and experiences are posted above so no need to e-mail me for those.

I don't recall saying that no gains are had after $5,000, I do recall saying that I was not going to pick a point (price) but that it was a good bit above $5,000.

"Some bad assumptions being made there."

No assumptions being made, you said:

"I, too, am a confirmed two channel guy"

Your info regarding rear channels is way off the mark? I find nothing wrong with you being a confirmed two channel guy...or anyone else.

My points were to say that a top quality two channel system will not sound better than a top quality surround system...dream on

Dave