Maintaining an Even Keel.

I was recently emailing with one of our members (he's taking a break right now) and just wanted to share this bit of info (as a reminder) as most of us are already aware of it.

Anyway, the member had just taken the time to properly level his new SACD player (by placing the level on top of the player, not on the shelf itself) and immediately noticed improved performance (sound). When I set my gear up on a new rack and shelves (approx. six weeks ago) I had done the same, but out of curiosity I double checked the player and it was off. Maybe the rack and the shelves settled, maybe the bottom spikes going into a plaster sub floor did the same or the whole floor itself, but regardless, it was now far from level. I placed it back on an even keel last night and the system now sounds better than before. This had been a contributing factor to the gradual decline in sound quality that I have been experiencing lately, I am now certain of that. So, if you have not leveled your CD player or transport (give it a try) and if you already have done this, then double check to see that it is still true. The same goes for vinyl playback, of course, where the difference in sound is major Vs minor.
128x128dekay
Hey Dekay, What if your transport is on a shelf that is seperate from the rest of your rack? I have a older target rack with the top shelf on four points. The points screw in and I just adjusted them to where all the points are the same.(screwed all the way down) It may not be as accurate as a level, but with all the points at the same level there is some reference. Just the same a level sounds like the best way to go. Thanks
I know I'm just asking for trouble, but why would a CD transport care if it 's not perfectly level. A turntable I understand, but a transport?
Drubin: I felt the same way about it as we are talking about the very low mass of a CD, but it does make an audible difference (at least on my CAL Icon MKII and also on the new 9000ES than JIM "Whatjb" just set up). So from now on I will just check it from time to time and adjust the level when needed.
without disturbing the precious sound quality achieved thus far? Do we need specially treated peanut shells or what? Despite my tongue being lodged in my cheek, I am serious. What can be used to level components without degrading the sound?

Thanks.