Coping in an Age of Uncertainty

there have been numerous threads here, i know, about sacd v. dvd-a, upsampling, oversampling, etc. a number of these threads have included discussions of which, if any, new digital format will replace what we now call “redbook” cd’s. i don’t wish to rehash these discussions. rather, i’d like to hear from others how they are coping with the “age of uncertainty” in the realm of digital audio. is it better to “roll the dice” and invest in sacd or dvd a? ignore the contenders for the new and get the best possible out of redbook cd’s? buy with upgradeability firmly in mind? follow another path? i don’t post this query out of mere curiosity. i really haven’t figured out what course i should follow. i’d appreciate your giving me a hand. -kelly
cornfedboy
My solution was to get a DVD player that handles all higher definition formats. I spent 3500 (USD) (w/out my 12% discount) on the Denon DVD-5910. I get HDCD, SACD, HDAD, DVD-A, all with top of the line Burr-Brown DACs. Great price point for everything you get, plus it is supposed to have the best video quality on the market as well. Even when Blu-ray and HD-DVD come out, I can still use this for my old movies and to play the HD music formats until one of them gels out as the winner.
Sorry guys, I was away having a life and listening to music instead of quoting the audiophile mantra..."All hail vinyl". I was into high end vinyl before most of you were sh...ing yellow! I also have owned enough high end gear to warrant the term "seasoned audiophile". I am usually ahead of the curve, so forgive me for stepping on your nostalgia. In the next year or two you will begin to read about how more and more veteran audiophiles and reviewers are becoming aware of just how superior CD/SACD/DVD-a playback can be!! One caveat, if you determine playback quality based on the worst recordings ever transferred to Cd...you win! If you have the taste and the persistence to seek out great performances on CD...well, I geuss you know how I feel. Meatloaf etc...definately better on vinyl...Sessions on Argo however...well, a thing of beauty!! Gee, no hum, clicks, pops, warps, rumble, feedback, inner groove distortion ...need I go on??
I may have a cheap solution for some of you. I posted about this in the cpu forum earlier. It's a small program that can upsample ripped cd's to 24/96 pcm dvd video with a claim of resolution enhancement. Then you burn it as a dvd video, but play it back as audio only in a standard dvd player. When I first tried it, I thought it would be just another bogus program with exaggerated claims. But much to my suprise, it actually seems to work. I took several of the disks to my brothers place for a shootout. He's got a MA6900 with MGIIIa's and Sony's top DVD video/SACD player (999ES I think). Some of the disks were the same titles, ie my dvd disk upsampled with Diana Krall against his SACD of her. Sometimes the dvd's would sound slightly warmer or the sacd's would have better bass or treble extension, or visa versa, but the differences were minute. The shootout was basically a tie, which stunned all of us. Sometimes the upsampled dvd's are much better than the original cd's, other times by a smaller margin. But they almost always sound better. There were three of us listening and we all heard the same thing. And here's the kicker...even a cheap dvd player using the analog outs sound quite good....kinda like a poor man's high-end cd player. Any of my dvd players using these disks will out perform my McCormack SST-1 cd transport. If your dvd player outputs 24/96, then you can send it to a high quality dac for even better sound. The bad news is Phillips dvd players don't seem to like the disks, they cut out the sound every few seconds. However most other players have no problem with them, Sony, Panasonic, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, to name a few. I don't even listen to cd's on my big rig anymore, they must be upsampled to dvd first. So if anybody has dvd burning capabilities on their computer, give it a try. I'll be interested to see if other people's experiences are the same. I'm new to Audiogon, so I hope my post isn't inappropriate. Just trying to spread the word about good sound for cheap money. Oh, and you can fit 2 hrs of 24/96 music on 1 disk. It's a free trial with a limit of 4 songs to a disk (no limit for full version). I recommend using RW's for the trial. DVD2one Audio Remaster is the name of it. Full version is about $60.
http://www.eximius.nl/index.php
Let's see been in this hobby since 1957, been married since 1969 to a former aka March 68. Have seen just a ton of gear in those 47 years. Some of it really stellar and has made a dramatic impact on the world of audio.

One of the young guys I work with recently bought an I-Pod.Once again lets thank Steven Jobs and the other morons who live on to polute the ears of the newbies into thinking they are actually hearing music.

So I dragged this newbie over to the humble abode to listen to some high end. The transformation on his face said it all.

So now he is in the process of putting together a high rez system. And when he left he threw the I-Pod in the trash can. The conversion is underway. And no I don't have the I-Pod he threw away. I took it out to the trash with the rest of the garbage that night.

So as far as we have come in all these years, it is safe to say that high end has not truly done its job, except for a very few of us. For if the realm of high end was to expose the possibilities of the music medium to a greater audience it has failed.

So in the final analysis it remains for us the hobbyist in high end to do our job, for the newbies. This endeavour is about the music, so much more than the gear. The components are there only to serve the music, as we perceive it. We all hear things differently and what is right for you, most likely I will find fault with.

With that being said however crap is crap. I-Pod,MP3,down loaded music, etc, you get the idea, does not serve music,but does serve the manufactuer, who proposes that this is music and reaps hughe rewards for polluting the ears of our children.