Coping in an Age of Uncertainty

there have been numerous threads here, i know, about sacd v. dvd-a, upsampling, oversampling, etc. a number of these threads have included discussions of which, if any, new digital format will replace what we now call “redbook” cd’s. i don’t wish to rehash these discussions. rather, i’d like to hear from others how they are coping with the “age of uncertainty” in the realm of digital audio. is it better to “roll the dice” and invest in sacd or dvd a? ignore the contenders for the new and get the best possible out of redbook cd’s? buy with upgradeability firmly in mind? follow another path? i don’t post this query out of mere curiosity. i really haven’t figured out what course i should follow. i’d appreciate your giving me a hand. -kelly
cornfedboy
Although my digital blows away my analog at this time, the statement Dave made is a bit silly, now ofcourse you made need to spend a hell of a lot more to make vinyl sound very good vs what it would cost to make a digital system satisfy, but it can be done, and Vinyl can and sometimes does sound better than digital, most do not have what it takes to get that sound, but those who do...man are they lucky.
BTW even though my vinyl is pretty bad as of now I still enjoy it and the chance to slowly improove my LP sound is very exciting and ultimatly what this passsion is all about, while I learn and imprrove the sound is alot of fun
A real audiophile: (in Catholic order)

1. Believes Levinson, Pass, McIntosh, Von Schweikert, et al, are gods.
2. Curses the names of above gods when equipment blows up.
3. Buys cheaper on line (Sundays included) instead of worshiping at the store front.
4. Listens to his gear more often than he calls his mother or father.
5. Would kill any and all comers who would dare move the position of his speakers.
6. Would sleep with anybody (farm animals?) since he doesn't get laid much
7. Would steal his grandfather’s gold fillings to buy interconnects.
8. Shits on anyone who disagrees with his preferences of audio equipment.
9. (repeat #6)
10. Looks at pictures of some people’s multi-thousand dollar systems and drools.

In other words, he is just a regular guy.
8>(
My solution was to get a DVD player that handles all higher definition formats. I spent 3500 (USD) (w/out my 12% discount) on the Denon DVD-5910. I get HDCD, SACD, HDAD, DVD-A, all with top of the line Burr-Brown DACs. Great price point for everything you get, plus it is supposed to have the best video quality on the market as well. Even when Blu-ray and HD-DVD come out, I can still use this for my old movies and to play the HD music formats until one of them gels out as the winner.
Sorry guys, I was away having a life and listening to music instead of quoting the audiophile mantra..."All hail vinyl". I was into high end vinyl before most of you were sh...ing yellow! I also have owned enough high end gear to warrant the term "seasoned audiophile". I am usually ahead of the curve, so forgive me for stepping on your nostalgia. In the next year or two you will begin to read about how more and more veteran audiophiles and reviewers are becoming aware of just how superior CD/SACD/DVD-a playback can be!! One caveat, if you determine playback quality based on the worst recordings ever transferred to Cd...you win! If you have the taste and the persistence to seek out great performances on CD...well, I geuss you know how I feel. Meatloaf etc...definately better on vinyl...Sessions on Argo however...well, a thing of beauty!! Gee, no hum, clicks, pops, warps, rumble, feedback, inner groove distortion ...need I go on??