You got to show me something more!

Okay, one thread has a group of folks dissin' the Ken Burns Jazz series on PBS. Another thread under Rock Systems has a writer that suggests Jazz merely "jerks around."

To each his/her own, but do you folks even have a clue what constitutes good music?

Rather than spending thousands of dollars on audio gear, perhaps many of you would do yourself a greater service by enrolling in a course in music appreciation. Doing so might actually enhance your appreciatiation of Jazz, and what is probably the most technically challenging, and soul revealing music ever created! Enjoy!
128x128coltrane1
Coltrane1, I do not have any idea of how much time you put into reading the threads and posts listed on this site. However, as an observation, I must state that it does not appear to have been too much. You sight only two of over 3000 threads. Spending the time to read through some of these would have led you to determine that most of us listen to a wide variety of music. Yes, each of has preferences and that is part of the beauty of this site and what makes us individuals. We are here at this giant cocktail party because of our love of music. We are bouncing ideas off of each other to improve our playback systems so that we may increase our enjoyment of the music we have. If you like jazz and only jazz that's fine with me. If someone does not care for jazz and hears it as "jerky", that is also fine with me. Just don't tell me that I am wrong and stupid for also enjoying classical and rock as well as jazz.
I tried to watch Jazz; and it seemed everytime I turned it on it was 10 minutes of a civil rights lecture for every one minute talking about the history of Jazz music.
Sugarbrie, you exagerate a mite. Worst still you miss one of the most important aspects of the history of this incredibly rich music. The state of civil rights had everything to do with much of what spawned this great tradition.
Now where's that doggon B-52's album....

I had an older 'cooler' friend in college who used to tell me I should stop listening to Led Zeppelin and the Stones, and listen to some real music - the Doors & Dylan. I though I was 'missing' something because I just didn't get why they were 'real music'.

Just occured to me that I graduated, and he didn't.

Love Shack ! Baby Love Shack ! That's where it's at !
Hiwave: Bach was a jazzman, you should know that! He improvised as much or more than any classical player. It doesn't hurt to have a classical training, but it certainly is, and has never been a prerequisite to play jazz. Heck, Wes Montgomery, probably one of the greatest guitar players that ever lived, couldn't even read a lead sheet! Sure, there have been some great players that were classically trained; Oscar Peterson, Art Tatum, to name but a few, but even they saw the light, and switched. Your argument is nothing does nothing more than support my position, which last time I checked, was merely a suggestion that someone not make a blanket statement about jazz without qualifying it, or in the very least, their reasons for calling it jerky. And no, jazz players are not imitating anyone. A great jazz player only channels what he/she hears. What performances have you been listening to? Ever hear an artist duplicate his/her solo? It's all about being in the moment. Once the moment has ended, it is gone. If imitation exists, it exists in the classical genre, not jazz. Anyone can train themselves to play a piece of sheet music. But can that same person improvise?

Dekay: No offense man. I didn't infer anything. You presumed what I said was an inference. I merely suggested that someone qualify their statements if they're going to make a blanket statement. BTW...I never weedle.

Garfish: I would be the last one to tell anyone what they should be listening to. To the contrary, the point is that folks should be listening to everything. I do. If the "jerky" comment hadn't been made, I'd not have been compelled to begin this thread. But it was made, and I began the thread to enlighten anyone who is willing to listen, that truth be told, jazz is the most technically challenging music. You may not understand it, but that's for them to discover. No one suggested what someone should be listening to...except you. :)

Doug: I've been an Audiogon member since week one. I didn't need to read 3000 comments to begin a thread suggesting that perhaps folks should investigate before closing their minds. Personally, I appreciate all forms of music. But, it's obvious yes, I dig jazz. You yourself suggest that this forum is all about enjoying all types of music. So, having said that, why would read more into my initiation of this thread other than to enlighten an obviously unacquainted person about jazz? Or, have I misinterpreted your post as you've undoubtedly misinterpreted mine?

Sugarbrie: There can be no true documentary about the history of jazz, without the mention of slavery, bigotry, prejudice. Don't let that turn you off man. You just might learn something!

Frogman: Nice to see someone actually gets it! Many don't!

Enjoy all! coltrane1