Power Conditioner or Power Strip

With a budget of about $400-500, should I go for a power conditioner or power strip (such as the JPS or Cardas Golden). Are there any sonic differences between a power conditioner and a power strip? Thanks.
jtan17ca
unlike some who frequently post on these threads (viz. rev_joe, carl_eber), i don't claim to be an expert on everything audio. i do know, tho, that there's a fundamental difference between a "power strip" & a "power conditioner." a power strip is primarily designed as a protective device to obviate or ameliorate power surges and spikes from, e.g., nearby (not direct) lightening strikes, etc. many of such devices impart an unwanted audio signature that degrades the quality of sound in various ways. one such device that is much more neutral and therefore recommended by a number of reviewers (for what that's worth) and me is the chang lightspeed. (for god's sake, don't use some $9.95 extension cord called a power strip, like the kind you'll find at office depot.) a power conditioner, on the other hand, is designed to impart a fundamental change of some sort to the current coming from your mains outlet before it is fed into the audio piece(s) into which its signal is fed. some, maybe most, of these products, too, degrade the sound quality of top-notch systems. two that i've found work very well and, indeed, improve the sound quality in my system are the accuphase ps 500 and ps 1200. not suprisingly, the accuphase stuff is pricey, but like all their products are, IMHO, worth every penny. you can find the ps 500 used on audiogon.
Blbloom: If I read your post correctly, then, (1) if you own a product,and (2) it is reviewed favorably by someone, anyone, the product = "good." Ergo, if anybody sez anything bad about it, they are crazy, idiotic, not to be beleived. It is you, sir, who is misinformed and self-deluded, not Hungryear. These are opinions about products only .005% of the populous gives a damn about. These chats do not rise to a level of theologig importance, despite what Big Brother AudiogoN would like us all to believe.
A power strip does not protect gear from power surges as Aardvark states in his post. It has no surge protection. If it did, then it might as he states degrade the sound. I do not believe that any of the above mentioned "strips" have surge protection. I know for a fact that the ESP does not. It's purpose is solely to reduce RF interference, which is what the ESP Power Distributer and the Essence Power Chords do. My opinion is that they do it well. I do not believe that anyone who disagrees with me is misinformed. On the contrary, I think that everyone is entitled to an opinion. I have a problem with those who state their opinions as fact. If F_Zappa will reread my post, I said that differences are subtle and sometimes I am not "sure if my mind is playing tricks". You call me "self-deluded". At least I know enough to have doubts, and I stated that. I have never called someone crazy or idiotic based on their post, so don't put words in my mouth. If in fact, I thought they were, I would not respond to them. You mention Big Brother AudiogoN, maybe they are here watching because there are those who speak before they think.
GIRLS,GIRLS,PLEASE STOP AND GET YOUR _ _ _ _ _ _ _ OUT OF A BIND. I HATE TO SAY IT BUT GROW UP!!!!! OH YA EVERYBODY NOES A HIGH END CONDITIONER WILL PUT A FORK IN ANY POWER CORD. TRY TO FIND SOMETHING WITH BALANCE POWER, IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT
The thing is that while I would like to buy a PS300, I simply do not have the finances at the moment. I can at best spend only about $500. What would you recommend, a Blue Circle BC 84 or 85.1 (if I can stretch to $700) or a JPS or Cardas power strip. I can't have a home audition of any of these products.