Apple or PC?

I am in the market for a notebook computer to use for University. I will be using it for research, writing papers (word/excel), sometimes taking notes in class, music, some photo editing, the odd DVD on trips, and internet surfing. It must be around a 12" and under 5 pounds with good battery life. I have been reading and it's my understanding mac OS X is a more stable operating system and that it is more secure from spy-ware and virusus. They also have 128Bit enscryption I hear as well. The powerbook 12" model looks perfect for my needs but my buddy who is a computer guru says macs are only good for photo editing and I will run into compatibility issues with the mac becasue they dont use a system registry or something like that. What should I do?
slov_dream
Be prepared for strong opinions on both sides of this. It will be obvious from the responses that this is a religious issue, not a technical one.

Having said that, I can give you a very personal recommendation. I use both operating systems, myself, I've got a PC laptop as my main machine and both a desktop PC and desktop Mac at home. I've managed for a long time the end-user technology issues for a group of more than three hundred people, most of whom use PC's and the rest Macs. I know exactly what the support and maintenance costs for both platforms are, in both dollars and staff time, because I have to budget for them.

For anyone who wants to do the kinds of things you say you're interested in, the choice for me is clear. The Mac is going to be much, much easier to use, especially for music and image management. As a company, Apple has better customer satisfaction than any other, by a considerable margin. Your satisfaction with a platform is going to have more to do with the software than the hardware and Apple's applications are still dramatically more intuitive and elegant than any of the PC copies of them.

Compatibility issues are actually quite rare. Again, there may be a specific application that you must have a PC for but, for the average person, that's not an issue. Our folks happily exchange Word, Excel, graphics and Powerpoint files across platforms with no problems, whatsoever.

If your computer guru is willing to be on call 24/7 to deal with your issues then the PC might be an okay choice. If he's not, I'd go with your idea of the 12" iBook. It's an amazing machine for the money and the bundled applications, iPhoto, iTunes, etc., are genuinely fun to use.
An important question is, which platform does your university recommend? Your life will probably be a lot easier if you can go to the campus tech support office for help when you need it.

If the school doesn't have a strong bias, or doesn't provide much support, I'd go Apple. I'm a freelance writer/editor, and do very little other than word processing, so I could use either platform. But I use Macs because, as a freelancer, I have to be my own tech support--or else pay by the hour for it. And Macs need a lot less tech support.
Mac rules! Your question ist like: BMW or Hyundai - you'd ALWAYS want the BMW right?
Seriously: OS X (Panther) is the best operating system, you can forget about viruses and stuff like that, everything is so easy and selfexplaining and the design is just......well perfect.
BTW - I use Windows PCs in my job so I know what I am talking about and I daily know what I have in my Apple computers when returning home.
Good luck!
Mac. I use the Powerbook 12 inch. It is 100% reliable. I also have Dells in my home and at work as well.

Just get Microsoft Office, Apple Extreme, max the memory and get an 80GB hard drive. Rockin

And I tunes is pretty cool too.
Until apple lowers there prices on desktops and laptops. the pc is the best buy and most compatible with all aftermarket products and 90% of the marketshare. microsoft xp and windows xp are by far the most used. if you buy a laptop make sure you get the largest harddrive you can afford and a all in one dual dvd-cd burner combo drive.

enjoy