Any Drawbacks to COD

Are there any drawbacks to selling and item and shipping it COD?
ehoehn
I personally don't know but would love to hear some experienced responses to that question. I sold a Krell preamp last month for almost $2000. The person I was going to sell it to said he would only do UPS COD. I wasn't comfortable with it. He agreed to mail me USPS money order and never followed through. I sold to another member who sent me certified funds before I shipped the preamp.
I've done a number of CODs, both as buyer and seller. It really depends on how comfortable the parties feel about doing business. I really don't care for UPS COD because it takes quite a while for the deal to be ultimately finalized. UPS isn't speedy with normal type deliveries and it takes again as much time for the seller to finally get their money. On the other hand, with FedEx Express deliveries it usually takes 2-3 business days for the package to get delivered and then the certified funds are overnighted back to the seller. It's a whole lot easier dealing with those members who have a reasonable amount of positive feedback. Remember, you always want to speak with someone in person if at all possible. If you don't feel comfortable doing a deal, then don't. If you have a desirable piece of equipment and you price it fairly, there will be someone who will buy it. The terms and conditions of shipping and payment are things that can be amicably worked out.
I have done numerous COD deals through Fedex. I have only had a problem once where the package came back because the person would accept delivery. I was out of the shipping expenses.
All of this is about risk exposure. Who gets the majority of the risk. With COD, it is somewhat shared. If I send certified funds, then I'm the one at risk. The person at the other end can cash the check and ship when they want(which I have had a few lengthy delays to deal with.)
Things can go wrong either way. A person could send a box full of bricks.
COD use to be very popular on this sight, then, it was send the money. I do like Paypal even though there is a fee imposed. At least you have some recourse this way.
I have been burned twice, once with a COD and once with a money order.
I am much more cautious now and I will not send cash to someone with no feedback. I'm even hesitant about Paypal with a person with no feedback but I also know one must start somewhere.
I have only had one UPS package come back because the person would not accept delivery. I was out of the shipping expenses, since he had a change of heart.

However with all the Audioweb, & Ebay scams lately, & having heard of 2 Agon members that received Fake-forged cashiers checks. I'm no longer offering the COD route.

I have had no paypal issues. Yet unless it's a postal money order, all Money orders, & Cashiers checks make me leary and must clear just like a personal check would.

I don't need to clear out my gear that bad, to totally give it away for free, & pay all the shipping too!