Anyone pay 1st price, Even if it's fair ? Poll

As I peruse the ads all too much on Audiogon, I have flat out come to the conclusion, I am better off listing something higher than what it value is, than to list a fair price and list it as a firm price. All too often firm prices get views not offers.

It seems everyone wants to get a deal. I know the very term "fair" will spark some controversy, since the term alone is very subjective.

I'd like to know how others view this. Do you pay a fair price when it is fair to you, or do you still try to get a few bucks off?
Do you list higher than fair,knowing you will be asked to go to your lowere (fair) price?
Just curious,
Tom
carmantom
I pretty much always try to negotiate a lower price. I usually max out my budget when I'm looking to upgrade, so every little bit counts. I never feel bad about making a low offer. If it's treated as an insult, I'll appologize. If the seller doesn't take my sincere appologies, I don't want to deal with him anyways. But courtesy is the most important thing and I'm glad to say that things usually end up on good terms for me. Sometimes, we forget that many of us are here trying to buy something that we otherwise cannot afford. You never know if you never ask. There are a few "dream" items that I constantly keep an eye on. Since I can't really afford them now, I'll try to get it at my price, that way, I wouldn't mind if I don't get the deal and I wouldn't lose anything if I really can't afford to keep it.
I certainly don't have any problem with the lowballer's will be ignored phrase. Its their ad, their equipment, and their right to put whatever information in the ad they see fit. However, the phrase lowball offers will mean different things to different people. Thus, the inanity of the phrase. In my experience, I have seen that in most cases this phrase is added to ads where the equipment is priced extraordinarily low.
My take on things:

Add 3% for PayPal: No way. That's the price the seller pays for quick safe confirmed payment. Asking the buyer to pay that fee along with shipping is insulting.

Lowball offers will be ignored: Some of the Audiogon people I've dealt with lately think this is eBay. Looking for a cheap deal. I don't have the time or inclination to deal with people like that. I don't care if your wife has you on a budget or (insert other sad sack excuse). That's not my problem. I have no use for that at all.

BTW: Flames will be cheerfully ignored :)
I paid the asking price for my speakers because it was very fair and I have no regrets. I have also made an offer lower than the asking price for a cable (without warranty) that was listed for just $7 cheaper than a new one but it sold anyway! Perhaps the only way to know the current market value of an item is to have audiogon post the price that the listed item actually sold for instead of just saying that the item sold. Otherwise, the buyer has to get to know prices by watching similar listings over a period of time or by paying for the audiogon bluebook price guide. While most everything is negotiable, common sense and fairness should be the guide for both buyers and sellers.
Ncsercs, I agree with your take on lowballers. Some are downright comical though. I don't get insulted, I actually have a good laugh.

As for the Paypal, I see it the other way. I, as the seller am happy to wait for the money order to arrive. I'll usually even take personal checks and wait another two weeks to ship. I find it's the buyer who cannot wait for the item that wishes to use Paypal for quicker delivery. If the buyer chooses to use Paypal, he should pick up the fee. If the fee bothers him, just send a money order. It doesn't matter to me how I get the money. Although Paypal fees, like shipping, can be negotiated into the deal.
I've bought and sold both ways. I don't expect the seller to pick up Paypal fees if I'm the one who wants to use Paypal. The seller does, after all, usually does have other payment options. Now if the seller's asking price is too high, I have made lower offers, in which I'll usually state 'including shipping and Paypal fees'. If the seller takes it, fine, if he doesn't fine. That's just negotiating.

Like I said earlier, if the price is right, I don't haggle at all. I'll jump on it and pay all fees. This is rare anymore though. I still see it happen, but the items sells so quickly you almost have to be watching 24/7 to get a steal nowadays. If priced right, it's sold within an hour.