10/3 or 10/2 to each outlet?

Going to have electrician install 4 dedicated lines from my main panel. If using 10/2 to the outlet, both plugs will share the same circuit. Am I better off going 10/3 wire with a hot wire to each plug and sharing the neutral and ground as in a 10/2 setup? What are the advantages or disadvantages of going 10/2 vs. 10/3 wire? Should I be looking at a subpanel with my runs going to be approx. 30-35 ft?

Outlet 1 - Dual mono amp with 2 cords
Outlet 2 - processor and Dvd player
OUtlet 3 - Cd player
Outlet 4 - Tube preamp

This is the plan, at the moment. Where would you put a 5 channel amp with the above? What would you switch around. I also will use a 1 duplex Stealth mini Digital conditioner and a Regular (3 duplex) conditioner. Would you use 10/2 to all outlets or go 10/3 with some? ANyhow, I value your insights and thank you all for the lesson in electricity. Cheers. Dave
canucks0
Jeffcot is abslutely spot on about sizing the run to the sub panel correctly. Any potential benefit from shortening the individual runs can be lost by undersizing the feed to the panel. If you use this method, be diligent about checking polarity when you hook up your system for the first time. Don't assume that the electricial has wired everything properly.
Dave, first of all your electrician will run the wiring according to code - regardless of what you suggest to him. The only thing he'll consider is wire that is sized bigger than required that will physically fit the outlet or breaker. For example, he won't accomodate you with a 30-amp branch circuit breaker, floor outlets, 10/3 wire with common neutral or a secondary ground. All are no-no's with respect to NEC and most local codes - he'll explain why.

If you want an isolated ground, ask for "hospital grade" wiring, aka "Type MC" cable. This aluminum-armored cable comes with the extra green wire, that is 10/2 MC will have a black white AND green whereas 10/2 "regular" (or BX) will only have black and white. Regular BX 10/3 will have black, white and red - no green. Can't use RED for ground with most codes. If you're using Romex, then the green comes with the wire - that is, 10/2 romex has black, white and green.

The use of 10/3 wire is intended to be used in switched outlets where you want to continue the circuit power independent of the switch to the next outlet. Commonly used at receptacles that are switched on by a light switch and ceiling fans with separate motor and light control. Sometimes it's used by stingy homeowners to run two circuits with one neutral - saves a run of cable.

Installing a sub-panel is a very good idea if you can swing the cost. Your electrician will be able to recommend the correct size for your application. I would overkill the wiring to the subpanel by sizing them according the the panel rating. E.g., if it's a 100-amp subpanel run three #3 wires in 3/4-inch EMT, if it's a 60-amp subpanel, run three #6 in 1/2-inch EMT. Again, trust a competent electrician above all else.
Canucks0:
Gs5556 is both knowledgeable and thorough. Listen to what he is saying.

I know it has been mentioned before, but, be sure to ask your electrician to check it carefully. The importance of a bullet-proof grounding system cannot be overstated.

If you are concerned about isolation, ask the electrician to install dedidated isolated ground circuits. The definition is in the thread I referenced earlier. These circuits will use 10/3.

If you want maximum digital isolation, simply provide a seperate circuit for each device. Otherwise, put the processor on one digital and the CDP and DVDP on another digital. What are the chances that you will use both players simultaneously?
Post removed 
Thank you all so very much for the explanations. I've learned alot from this thread.(Jea48...great explanation). I takes alot of effort to communicate these concepts to the uninitiated. Just a couple of last questions. I met with a very competent electrician this morning and we discussed all the options. Here's what we decided.

1) We'll go the subpanel route and run 3 #4 wires from the
main panel to sub panel (6-8 ft from audio rig once in
place
2) Breakers will be 20 amp 'square D' type.

Now here's the dilemma and I now understand the differences between dedicated circuit and dedicated line and using 10/2 vs. 10/3.
We were going to go 10/3 in an isolated ground situation and wire each duplex separately. I don't think we'll do that anymore for the above reasons. I think we'll wire each receptacle as a dedicated line and if I don't use the other outlet so be it. I will then have 4 dedicated duplexes in two separate receptacle boxes. 1 for amps (4 outlets on 2 dedicated lines) and the other box also have 2 duplexes (4 outlets) on 2 other dedicated circuits. I just have 3 other questions....

1) Does 10/3 come in solid core copper or is it always
twisted? I understand that solid is the way to go.
Jea48, do you mean the conductors in 10/3 use twisted
or braided wire or that the black,red,white, and ground
are twisted upon themselves (like Kimber 4TC speaker
cable). Not sure why you mentioned this. WHat are the
disadvantages of this configuration?

2) If I decide to run 10/2 from the subpanel I cannot do
an isolated ground scenario. How do I ground 10/2
circuits? Tell me I don't need a separate grounding
rod. If I am using 2 receptacle boxes (with 2 duplex
outlets in each) do I have to always use isolated
ground circuits, thereby calling for 10/3? If I chose
10/2 can I use the main panel grounding wire?

3) When hooking up to the subpanel am I correct in the
thinking that amps go on one side(2,4,6,8 etc.)or the RT
side and the other components on the LT.(1,3,5,7,etc).

1 2
Source,analog 3 4 Amps here?
and digital here? 5 6 Will have 2 dedic.
Will have 2 dedic.7 8 lines on this side.
lines on 2 outlets (2 duplexes)

Help, we're almost there....honest! I appreciate it.