Equalizers anyone?

Anyone using a Rives, Accuphase, etc. equalizer? If so, how's it going? Can these devices properly correct for room deficiencies as reviewers claim?
tomryan
ToM:

For 25 years, I've been a purist. Before that, I used Empire and Audio Control stuff. Big rooms, small rooms, Quads, Genesis, ESL's, B&W 801s,02s,05s..., CATS, Carys, Symphonic Lines...

a few months ago, I got a TACT. When I switch it out, EVERYONE, wants to know what "went wrong". VDH Black Beauty, SME V, Big VPI, Emotive Audio Sira...real good stuff, but no room treatment I've ever tried touched this thing. It even makes up for timing errors which EQing can cause adn exaggerate. This is a discontinued model, so I can only imagine how good their new one is.

I'll never be without a TACT or similar product. I wish it were like the RIVES and I didn't have to go into A-D conversions, but purist equipment set ups DO NOT make purist sound reproduction. You've got to get the room out of the way. Tube traps and other room treatments MAY be the ticket, but they're expensive and more or less hit-or-miss.

This stuff works.
Thanks, Jeff. I am an SET devotee, have used this type of amp for almost 7 years, and use a passive 'pre-amp'. Can't get much more purist than this and I know exactly what you mean - I can more easily hear the problems the room creates with such a high resolution system. I'll also put the TACT on my short list.
The equalizers people shun are exactly what would help a good many of one. I'm using an Audio Control C101 series three that is mandatory in my well treated room with four bass traps. A db or two here and there can make a big difference in overal sound quality that even room treatment can't make up for without taking up most of he room. My room is 12 x 17 and my speakers are very tweakable VMPS speakers that have far more adjustment than most but the equalizer stays. I can switch it in and out and can hear no difference. My system is ARC LS 16, Sony Dvp 555es, modded kenwood 7500 and VMPS Supertower/R Special Editions. Going with one of the newer digital based equalizers has alot going for it but I have a problem with the d/a and a/d conversion. After thirty years without one I decided to try one for fun, an eye opener it was. Any deleterious effects are easily outweighed by the improvement in sound. I hear no extra noise when switching it in and out with my ear upto the speaker. You can do like I did and I bought a cheap Audio Control Octave off of Ebay to try. After the wow I researched to find a very good analog equalizer for my system. I still have that Octave. I'll send it to you for free if you want to try it just for giggles. You're only out return shipping and it weighs little.I think the S/n on it was 110db. You have nothing to lose!
Warnerwh - What a wonderful offer! If you're serious I'll take you up on it and would be willing to let you try my stored-in-the-closet Creek OBH12 passive remote volume control. However, that Audio Reasearch is a damn good pre-amp but it might be fun to see what a passive would sound like. I'll e-mail you with additional info.

By the way, which digital equalizer did you try out? I'm still very curious about the Accuphase based on The Absolute Sound's review a 2-3 years ago.
Tomryan: Send me your address and I'll send you Audio Control. Be sure to do some research. You'll learn a flat room response is not what necessarily sounds best. As a matter of fact almost nobody likes what truly flat sounds like as the bass is thin and the highs to bright. What you can do though is an eye opener for sure. Regarding digital equalizers I've never used one as I have a problem with the dual conversion. After owning many dacs I was worried the d/a or a/d would be something I don't care for as have been many dacs that are so highly acclaimed. I'm not familiar with the Accuphase but it the frequency response of a room is horrible and most people are shocked when they do in room measurements. Also remember you need to mount a db meter on a tripod or something as moving it just 6" can make a big difference in the readings. If you go to Rives Audio they have some frequency reponse sheets you can print out and make a graph of your room response with. There's no doubt in my mind that only the minority of people have any idea what their room is doing to their sound. Then they go buy high dollar cabling or different electronics and still aren't happy. It's the room and all rooms with walls have modes. Straighten things out some and you'll find the timbres of instruments and voices to be much more accurate and pleasing.