No one cares this is the anniversary?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/dday/

I kept thinking all day that someone else would do this.

There was a lot of blood left on the beaches in France this day 60 years ago so Europe would be free from oppression.

There was a special this morning on History Channel, where one survivor, barely 17 years old that day tearfully described his fallen comrades and his realization that he narrowly escaped death.

We owe these soldiers, living and dead, a debt of gratitude.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xalbertporter
My Dad was D+10, an uncle D+2. My father NEVER spoke of his involvement (through the Normandy campaign, the Ardennes (phew!), the Rhineland, and finally a bit of peace-keeping in Czechosolvakis before his return 1/45.
He was a sharpshhooter, manning a three-person machine gun group until a temporary evacuation for trenchfoot near the Bulge. His keen eyesight (and sculpting skills) were put to use later on as SWANK's chief designer of all their cufflinks, tiebars, etc., for 40 years. He retired in '88, and unfortunately died a year later. Since he NEVER wore jewelry, I'm only now collecting a few examples of his craft. He once carved a 3/4" solid gold replica of my Hammond B organ for my Mom's charm bracelet...with ALL 122 keys...and 25 pedals! I never learned much else about his involvement in the European Theatre, and all records perished in that fire in DC years ago....
My uncle passed in 2002, and was a trucker in Normandy. An extremely humble big guy, he claimed to be one of the few drivers who didn't skim provisions enroute from supply depots. He said quite a few quartermasters became incredibly rich....
I have a pretty deep WWII library...especially of D-Day and the Normandy campaign, including many maps, if anyone else wishes to swap titles or stories. There are many great tomes to recommend....
Someday I'll find someone who has more details of Company D, 12th Infantry, I hope.
I've walked the beaches, startled by the amazing architecture of the US museaum at Utah, and cried at the cemetery at Colleville.
Silent and great generation, indeed. Ern
Lugnut,

Very moving post. Thank you. However, you might want to
check your facts. Reagan did not leave office with the highest approval in US history. In spite of the fact that many from all walks have recently sung his praises, his approval ratings during and leaving office were actually topped by a number of other presidents, including Bill Clinton. No intention of playing politics here, but as much as we might long for Reagan to be the most popular president in history, the statistics demonstrate that he was not.
Boa2 perhaps the reason for his continued popularity is that in retrospect people are able to see how much he truly accomplished, as opposed to what others claim to have accomplished. I did hear recently that his approval rating was about 68% when he left office.
My father was a whopping 5'7" and 110 lbs, when he went to the draft office in February of 1942. The Dr. examining him said, "Well sir, if you weighed just 5 lbs less, we couldn't take you." My father said, "Can you give me a week?" They both laughed.
Dad went on to ship into North Africa, fighting in the 91st Infantry Division. This brave group, fought the SS Nazi Troups all the way from North Africa, through Sicily, Italy, all the way up to Austria. During that 18 months of combat they, "never yielded as much as one inch of ground,"as stated in my Fathers Company Book that the government issued.
Of the 248 men in Dad's outfit, (don't know the actual terms to describe the grouping) anyway of that 248 men, only 12 came back. Not all died, but that was the sum total of men who came back due to disabling injury or death.
Dad was awarded the Purple Heart, and the Bronze Star, 'for valorus and courageous performance, in the line of duty; for crawling out further into harms way, dragging and carrying 10 to 15, wounded, screaming, moaning and crying, men, back to first aid and safety...all while under mortar and machine gun fire.
Sometimes I wonder what I would have done. I don't think I am blessed with his brave heart, or sense of duty.
When Dad passed away in January 11th, 1977, I had the minister read this commendation at the service. Beyond the grief of that moment, everyone sobbed openly at this reading of his selfless act of courage. This little snip of a man, who by that time had most likely shrunk to less than 100 pounds, too little to go into the armed forces, saved men who very well could be alive today.
God Bless my Father, and all the HEROES who gave it their all during impossible circumstances. How lucky we are to inherit their legacy.
Tom Brokaw called them "The Greatest Generation"; this is why...and he is right.
Nrchy,
I would suggest (although I certainly could be wrong) that in terms of waxing on his popularity, Reagan's passing could not have come at a better time. In the midst of today's rather charged geopolitical climate, many Americans eagerly celebrate the man who by all accounts seeded the patriotic (cum nationalistic) fervor we are experiencing today. He left office with an approval rating of 63%, which although quite admirable, trails that of at least four other presidents from the 20th century alone.