WAF, Help, Need Strategy

Hello Folks.

Nee some suggestions or stratigies.

I just got back from the house im buying, was working on laying hardwood floors, picked out the paint, and ran cables for surround in the living room. (buying the house off of her mother who wants to move due to empty nest syndrome)
It is a modest 225,000 house in denver, (houses are expencive here) The living room is about 20ft by 20ft, big enough for the TV, AV rack, surround, couple couches, recliner, plants, whatever.

I was talking with the fiancee, and she said we could put one of the couches over in a spot that I had already decided my 2 channel system would go. I mentioned that and she rolled her eyes and gave me "The look"

I know some people like having a dedicated listening room, but I feel uncomfortable being tucked away, I like being in the main living area.

I don't want to integrate HT and 2 channel, and I'm making a lot of compromises.

The surround sound setup will use a Denon 2803/3803 and Definitive Technologys Promonitor 60 setup. Nice, small, easy to conceal, and it sounds pretty darn good too.

The 2 channel system will comprise Green Mountain Audio Europa's, a Krell 300 integrated, My DVD-A player, and possible down the road a nice small Rel Subwoofer.

Neither system will be very intrusive, Im already sold on the Europa's, cheap, excellent quality, and not too big.
The Krell 300IL is a nice looking piece of machinery as well. Plus it will match the walls.

Basically, ive given up on full range floorstanders, tried to choose equipment that would match the décor, and put a lot of thought into a system we could both enjoy.

She still aint buying into the idea though. I explained how it would match the décor, I explained both systems would do a good job of blending in with the room, and would not stand out and be imposing, but im still having a hard time getting this to fly.

Any suggestions?

How did you get the wife to accept the gear you wanted, in the room you wanted it? And tricks? Tips? Suggestions?
slappy
Slappy, thanks for this post. It gives me a chance to think how I would feel if I were in your place.

Right now, honest, I would be willing to say, "Dear, do the living room the way you want. I'll set up a system somewhere else." I would mean it too. If I had to, I'd do the headphone thing.

That's my last position, my bottom line, Plan B. That's what I go into discussions with. So in negotiations, I am starting at a point where any concession she is willing to make over the living room is a gain.

Other posts have much better suggestions than I can think up. I'm only putting my 2 cents in because of the great opportunity you have offered. My own attitude to these things has changed over recent years. I used to think that women's lib meant my partner and I were equal in all things. Equality turns out to be not what I thought. Food and the house, for example, are female domains and things go much better if she gets the final word in them. ( I just hope we like the same things. ) The car and the audio/HT gear are two areas where I get final choice, if I want it.

You are now dealing with a situation in which the masculine (audio gear) and the feminine (home) intersect. Honesty, generosity and tact are required. Good for you! Thanks again for the post. Let us know how it works out.
Slappy, you did say fiance, right? That means you're not trapped yet. Run like the wind, save yourself. Go listen to Elton John's 'Someone Saved My Life Tonight', and smile.

'You almost had your hooks in me, didn't ya dear?'

It's too late for me, I'd lose my system in a divorce. Some stay together for the children, I stay for the music. When I turn the volume up real loud, I almost can't hear her anymore. hehehe
Wait till the kids come.....You actually will be glad if you just go for a nice unobtrusive theater system. Hell, if you spend all of the money on one nice system, you won't even miss the 2 channel.
This is how women's lib and all other issues are resolved in our home:
Female is permited to work and to spend the money she earned on anything she wants.
Male works and takes care of ALL the living expences. Whatever is left after that - he spends any way he wishes.
His account and her account are off-limits to each-other (she does not buy him a gift with his own money and wise-wersa).
Common rooms are decorated by both (female usually wins - 99%).
Private rooms like separate accounts.
P.S. We've been happy together for the past 10+ years.

Re-read jabenso's post. A home is a reflection of those who live in it. I am among the lucky, my wife wants me to be happy, in all things. We do not "negotiate," how can one "negotiate" with half of ones self?

The opposite applies: I want her to be happy, It gives me pleasure to see her get what she wants.

Somehow, with this attitude, we don't fight much. I cringe every time my friends say "I have to see if thats o.k. with the wife.." Actually, they usually refer to "the wife" as "the boss" or worse. Curious, I never have to check, the answer is always the same, "sure, have fun"

I usually find myself saying "sure, no problem" a lot as well, it seems to come easily.

If you need a "Stratagy" to deal with the person you intend on spending all the rest of your days with, than you will be very busy stratagizing for a long time...

My 2 cents, not meant as a criticism.

Best of Luck,

Ron