I have a confession to make

I have an addiction, and I have to stop. I don't know if it is upgradeitis, or audiophileism. But I suddenly feel real bad. My wife who is the most wonderfull person in the world is even becoming concerned.
It all started one day looking for some speakers for my very modest home theatre set up in my living room. I wanted to be able to enjoy music also. Low end Sony CD player you know. I was using these God awful Fischer speakers with 15" woofers.
Well, that was about 5 years ago. Now $40,000.00 later, I have a dedicated HT room and A dedicated Tube based listening room. I don't make this kind of money to be doing this. What the hell is my problem ? The Vpi record washing machine was the last straw for my wife. "$500 to wash a record? You have a serious problem". She is right,what the hell am I doing? But I continue to look at what is for sale. What would be better than what I have?
Please I beg all of you, If you receive a email from me wanting to buy your product, please delete my email. If you see any of my products for sale, please don't make an offer. I need friggin help here man.
I have to realize that there can always be better than what I have. Just enjoy what the heck I have and be done with it. Masn this is one sick addiction.
scottht
Scottht,
I know exactly what ya been through because i was in the same shoe,So i got my self to buy used records at flea market,thrift store etc.Just when i thought everything is okie,now my wife yelling at me because our house begin to smell like a thrift shop..good luck..
My experience has been different. I discussed/negotiated with my better-half in terms of how much I would spend on getting a new/upgraded stereo system. Although I have ended up spending a little more than originally agreed and despite occasional outbursts from said better-half, overall it has been OK. For the sake of fairness, my wife spent the same amount on things she wanted for our new house. Not exactly equitable since these include new sofas and appliances that aren't strictly for her benefit, but she does enjoy listening to music from time to time.

I think the advice provided by others in terms of downsizing may be the way to go, particularly if there are budget/debt issues involved. If you have amp/pre separates, try going to an integrated of similar quality but lesser cost overall. Cables: there is a very favourable review at www.stereotimes.com of Signal Cable products, which are said to be of very good quality at affordable prices. Does your HT set-up have more than two channels? If so, try making do with just the two main speakers and, if absolutely needed, keep the sub.

Most important, get your wife involved or, if she's not interested, at least keep her in the loop about purchases.
1. every 2-3 months your wife must have the entire system removed and/or blocked off for at least 10-20 days - or more. It is important that you cannot use or see your system for this period of time.

2. replace the system with a cheap sears or radio shack system - perferrably purchased at a pawn shop. You must listen to the replacement system at least 20-30 hours per week. A large glass of wine -refilled several times may help at first.

3. after the withdrawls she must take you out to diner. While out to diner someone else comes in to setup your system exactly as it was.

4. upon coming home she then gives you the box of remotes.

You will then appreciate your system all over again.

Just some thoughts.
David
First of all, there is no way I am down sizing. I was confessing my problem. Not a plea for desperation! Next thing you know, you will be asking me to get a Bose radio. I am not in debt, well, not anymore than the average person. What , maybe $350,000.00 total. Of course this does not include my kids educations:-) I think I can come to terms, all I need is a new preamp and I am done!!