Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
A few thoughts on the Buena Vista sound. If one uses as criteria two of Jazz's essential ingredients,improvisation and roots in African music,it is clearly "jazz"' as Rok points out. But the music heard on most of BVSC's recordings is actually closer to the "guajira" and "son" styles; the "country-music" of Cuba. The repetitive vocal style is the influence of the chants of the music that the West African slaves brought to the mix. It predates the Cubano-bop that came a decade or two later.
Frogman: Well done. Thanks for the info. Nice to see that your expertise extends beyond strands of metal. Notice, I did not use the 'W' word. :)

Monk and Coltrane at carnegie Hall. Great music, listening to it now. It also has a very good booklet with pictures and other details. I love the details. The recording is indeed very good. I wonder why so much of the 50's era Jazz sounds so good. A Classical recording from that same era would more than likely sound like crap. Anyone with the answer?
Did you notice the poster in the booklet announcing the concert. It says:
Date and Time and lists as performers, Billie Holiday, Dizzy Gilliespie, Ray Charles, Chet Baker with Zoot Sims, Monk and Coltrane, and Sonny Rollins. The price is: $2,$3,$3.50 and $3.95. (tax exempt contributions) Amazing!!

Latest listen.

Side by Side -- Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges
Another very good recording. Great music also. A rare chance to hear the Duke play extended solos on piano. The liner notes on this cd have to be read using a microscope.

Oh how I long for the days of the LP jacket. I wish that turntable that read LPs with a laser had worked out. That would been the perfect solution. Nice big art and notes.

Jafant: The entire decade was a golden era. I guess all things follow a predictable tracjectory. I feel we are now on the downward slope. :( We can be glad we are living during this time. At least as far as music is concerned.

This thread has caused me to really explore my collection.

Cheers
Jafant, Another classic from 1959

Ornette Coleman- Change of the Century

Ornette on sax, the master Don Cherry on trumpet, Charlie Haden on bass, and Billy Higgins on the drums.

I say, there is no single way to play Jazz. Some of the comments made about my music make me realize though that modern jazz, once so daring and revolutionary, has become in many respects, a rather settled and conventional thing. The members of my group and I are attempting a breakthrough to a new, freer conception of jazz, one that departs from all that is "standard" and cliche' in modern jazz.

Ornette Colman
" The members of my group and I are attempting a breakthrough to a new, freer conception of jazz, one that departs from all that is "standard" and cliche' in modern jazz."

I guess you could say he has made a lot of noise in this area.

Cheers
One I should have put in my earlier list is the Charlie Byrd Quintet "Du Hot Club De Concord" from 1995 on the Concord label. I just listened to it for the first time in ages. I had forgotten what a terrific CD this is. It's going back on my frequent play list! With a decided Latin flavor, the tunes are mostly reinterpreted standards, but there are also a few Charlie Byrd originals which are exceptional compositions in and of themselves. The five musicians are Charlie Byrd - guitar, Johnny Frigo - violin, Hendrik Meurkens - harmonica, Frank Vignola - rhythm guitar, and Michael Moore - bass. I've never been a harmonica fan, but I have to say the harmonica on this CD is a revelation. Also, the sonic quality of the recordings is top drawer.