AV Racks. What difference does it make?

Im not sure i understand what difference your rack could possibly have.

I understand everybody here seems to feel that reducing all sorts of vibrations is important as well.

How is that? its not like 1's and 0's get rattled off the circuit board by vibrations

Whats the point in a better rack? What is a better rack? And how does a $1,500.00 rack make anything sound better? I mean, technically, in depth, can anybody explain this phenominon?

Sounds like a buncha horse pucky to me. Kinda like the kinds new clothing.

Does anybody have a theory of how one AV rack can sound different than another? And dont give me any of that room accoustics stuff, i dont see people talking about which sitting chair is best for sound!!!! :)

"I found that wearing wingtips and khaki shorts really opened the soundstage compared to my nikes and TH bluejeans."

I have a good understanding of electronics and accoustics, but i cannot imagine any way a rack could make a difference.
What is the theory of how a Maplewood rack might sound better than an oak for example?

Do you all use racks and isolation pods at the same time?
slappy
Having been in the server/storage networks and enclosure industry during a pervious internship, I garnered some 411 on how acoustics and vibration energy can induce the amount of transfer inaccuracies and bandwidth impedements during high speed/volume data transfer.

This has led me to come up with many different ways to augmenting/optimizing the stereo's musical acoustics. The root of this approach is in the belief that every material has a natural resonant frequency (remember plate techtonics and seismic waves?). And, any material that comes into contact with the stereo will mechanically or physically alter the sound characterstics of the stereo.

Most important, and this is a disagreement with previous threads, I feel a "good" rack is just as or more essential for digital than for analog since, in my opinion, digital data transfer integrity in audio is years behind computer network technologies which is the one of the culprit to why digital sounds so "digital."

So, along with better data transfer hardware and software, the casing holding the hardware is crucial in order to ascertain higher fidelity digital audio transmission.

Lastly, and perhaps this can be started/stated in a thread of its own, I've gained a tremendous amount of audio "heads up" from this forum. I would hate to see a few bad seeds in the form of 1) shills, 2) fallous logic and 3) vulgarities ruin it for the rest of us. So, to Slappy who has made these types of implications, you definitely earn and deserve this rarest of golden sombreros of disgrace. If you are offended, I did so intentionally.
Yeah, take it from Viggen! He used to use high school yearbooks and apple crates as speaker stands. Now, look at his cool system. :•)
Dean, you are like the audiogon mom I never had. Do you have to go around showing my naked baby pictures to strangers? = P
Viggen: That "naked baby pictures" was a great analogy i.e. it made me chuckle out loud : )

Gunbei: Shame on you : )

I would LOVE to have enough time to sit down and actually measure / chart / document "vibrations" using various types of racks / footers / treatments, etc... using an accelerometer. I bet it would be a VERY interesting and enlightening experience. Sean
>
Sean, I'll have to show you those darling baby pictures some time over a nice cup of warm milk. When Viggen was a little tyke he loved to mash his hands in his own poop. Needless to say he wasn't allowed near a remote control or allowed to adjust the volume knob when his mitts were in that state. Hahhhh!!

How does an accelerometer represent the measured vibration? Is it a graphic display like a sine wave? Would the device be placed directly on the platform or rack being tested? Would it be able to show both the amount and frequency of the measured vibrations? Is there a way to correlate the measurements with the possible effects on the audio system, such as if a noted bunching of measurements around a certain frequency possibly causing a tonal change in that area during playback? Yeah, that would be an interesting test.