How many AudiogoNers are amateur chefs?

I know this is WAY off topic, but I am curious as to how many of you folks fancy yourselves as amateur chefs. I ask this as I just completed my first day of culinary school. This is not a school for training pros (we meet on Fridays for the day), but for those folks who want to become better cooks, learning to prepare menus, pairing foods and wines, etc. I still have my full-time profession, so this is for home.
slipknot1
I got in to cooking several years ago - just to see if I could make some interesting dishes. I try to cook up something special at least once each weekend. I find it interesting and quite entertaining.

Best thing I stumbled across: *Cooks Illustrated* magazine. It comes out 6x per year and is well produced. No ads. The articles explain not only *how* but *why* - - if you haven't seen this publication, look for it. You won't be disappointed.
I have lots of fun at it. Not sure I would say "chef" but I love good food, and cooking it is fun if you haven't just finished a 10 hours thrashing through the swamp. Kind of like a chemistry set where you get to eat what you've whipped up.
I'd rather be cooking than lawyering. Can't boast about my talents in the kitchen, but I am know past the half century mark and started cooking around the age of five when my widowed mother would leave me with the housekeeper and, in my neurotic way, believed I could make better food than she could. I was right. And I can still make finer food than most. I know that self-praise is no recommendation, but someone asked the question. I will not delve into the effects of cultural differences on a person's outlook towards food when that person is from Québec, as opposed to the ROC or the US of A. I can only say God bless to James Beard, Michael Field, Craig Claiborne and the great Julia Child for leading the way and saving the US of A from what was a vast wasteland food wise. Now everybody and his uncle is a "gourmet". It's good that fine foods are available almost everywhere. What is not so good is the great number of people offering phoney haute cuisine. I still think that simple foods, well prepared, will win my vote any day. I wonder if anyone has read a book titled "The Adventures of a Happy Eater". I tend to agree with the author's philosophy. Not to belittle any other group, I think that the contribution of the Italian, the French and the Chinese to fine food in North America should also be mentioned. I hope no one is seriously trying to make a parallel between food and drink and stereos. It just does not work.
RcPrince,
We just did the same thing in our kitchen. The renovation is just about complete. We took the wall down between the dining room and kitchen, hardwood floors, granite counters, prep sink, new range hood, recessed lighting.. Decided that my skills, while pretty good, were no match for the new digs, so I enrolled in the culinary program. Maybe it's time to move things to another level: Music AND Meal get togethers ;) Glad to see so many people who like being in the kitchen.
Warrenh,
Today's class was soups and stocks. Also the proper way to dice an onion for soup.
Rshak,
Cook's Illustrated is nice. As a matter of fact, the school is giving away via random drawing, a 1 year sub to it each week of class. This session is 5 weeks long, there are 5 people in class. Gosh, I wonder how my chances are? ;)