Tube-amp for Magnepan?

Hi.I have currently tested Audio Research VT60 with my old Maggies (MG2A),
It seems that the 50w is too weak in power.I experienced a lot of distortion already at "10 oclock"-position on the preamp.(could there be something wrong with the tubes?) At low volumes it sounded fantastic!
The 4ohm connection was a lot worse than 8ohm.The Maggies are 6 ohms...
A friend suggested either a VT100 from AR or maybye Mcintosh 275.The latter is more in my budget..I currenty run a Papworth MIA200 ,200W solid state-quite good but a bit boring.I really want to test out tubes!Have anyone any recomandations?
efuglset
I have a pair of Maggie 1.7's driven by two Mac 275 Tube amps = Heaven. I use 1 amp per channel I guess they would call that Mono blocked and delivers 150 watts per speaker. I have had this system turned up in Party Mode without any adverse affects. The 275's are absolutely noiseless (total Black background). These things weigh appox. 70-80lbs each and seem to me have all the current that the Maggies need plus the power. I would look first for a good used one or 2
and see what you think. Goodluck with your search, Mel.
I have tried many, SS and Tubed...

Use a pair of Carver Black Beauty 305's mono blocks - Six KT-120's per side or his updated BB 350's - six KT-150's per mono block.

I use the 305's on my 20.7's; best sound that I have had in my 35 years in this crazy hobby. They will drive anything and sound great!

Highly recommended.
I've driven my few months old M3.7i with also a few months old CAD 120S MkII with many different power tubes such as Psvane TII KT88, Tungsol KT120, W.C (Svet/SED) 6550/EL34, Ruby EL34 (one bad tube) with excellent results. The front end 6SN7 has been either Tungsol GTB or Sylvania JAN WGTA or CHS GTB. The driver has been either TJFM or EH GP. The CAD 120S MkII is upgraded to the Vcap CuFT reference caps and Solemn bypass caps with Cardas solder.

The CAD 120S MkII is driven by the SLP-98P that have Sylvania 6SN7 JAN WGTA or CHS GTB like the ones in the CAD 120S MkII. And the TJFM 6SN7 are the driver. The Phono tubes are Telefunken or Psvane. The SLP-98P is upgraded to the Mundorf S-G-O and mil spec resistors.

All NIB or NOS tubes have been fully broken in with close to 150 hours.

Phono input is from the VPI Scout 1.1 with upgraded tonearm and Dynavector 20x.

Digital source is from the Oppo 105D with AQ Columbia interconnects.

The result is simply breathtaking with a lot of audible improvement in deeper black background with more sound clarity, instrument separation in terms of more accurate image, wider soundstage, deep tight bass, sweet midrange and extended strong clean crisp treble. The entire audio response is very flat and dynamic with balanced tones.

The volume is about midway at the SLP-98P for most phono records to fill the 25' tall ceiling 21x20 living room open to staircase and kitchen. For digital music sources the volume is only at 11 o'clock to have the same SPL.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the synergy from this awesome setup. The Parasound A21 Halo sounds really harsh for the already clean fast crisp sound reproduction from the M3.7i. The CAD 120S MkII has plenty of reserve power (60WRMS in triode and 120WRMS in UL switchable on the fly) to handle the M3.7is beautifully as they sound better than my SF dynamic speakers by miles.

The low power but beautifully sound Yaqin MC-13S with W.C EL34 and Mundorf S-O cap (6 total) upgrade cannot drive the M3.7i properly. It is hooked up to the SF in the second listening room but definitely cannot be in the same league with the M3.7i setup.
I am considering connecting a pair of MMGi's to the 4 Ohm outputs of a pair of Hammond 1642SE output transformers wired up with the 833-A radio station triode running on only 1000 Volts. Using older speakers this draws 120 ma plate current. Steve Gutenberg on youtube said he likes the .7's using only a 300B SET. But I think I will need something stronger.
Most people don't build DIY 833-A SETs and only a television evangelist could afford the WVIAC 833-A SET, but I have successfully built the 1000 Volt power supply with choke filtering and I have gotten the 10 Amp 10 Volt DC to work with, among other things a 4.5 Farad capacitor and pre-charger so the bridge rectifier doesn't go off like a cherry bomb when I power it up. But I love this amplifier and I use a transformer coupled 245 triode, the Stradivari of vacuum tubes, to drive the 833-A.
Since SET power seems to go further in sounding good, has anybody else tried this? I am going to visit a dealer next week and request trying MMGi's connected to this.
My personal experience with the Magnepan 1.7i speakers.  I auditioned the 1.7i's with several high powered SS amps and they all, of course, made the panels jump with all that wattage running through them, and they all sounded great in their own ways, as well.  However, once I heard the 1.7i's being powered by a mere 44 watts of very high current, EL34 tube power via a Prima Luna Evo 200 integrated amp, and the absolute magic that that combo produced, it was all over.  I've had prior experience with ribbons and tubes and this combo has been my preference for years.  I once owned a pair of Analysis Audio Omega ribbon speakers which were powered by tubes.  Surprisingly, with this awesome integrated, everything was there, from top to bottom: Bass, highs, mids.  The Evo drove the Maggies with authority.  I purchased the Maggie 1.7i speakers and bumped up to the Evo 400 integrated to run them.  Now, let's be realistic.  If I were going with the 3.7i's and above, I would most certainly run them with high powered SS amplification.  But, for me, with my moderately sized room, playing at low to moderate, to moderately high volume levels, the 1.7i's and high current tube amplification will produce a very compelling, soul stirring, exciting and utterly magical sound.  Unlike the old horribly inefficient Apogee ribbon speakers, we are blessed to have a manufacturer like Magnepan that produces several ribbon speakers in their line that are efficient enough to be powered by tube amplification.  "Current" is the key to making the Maggies jump.  If you ever have an opportunity to hear a pair of Maggie speaker driven by tube amplification, I'm almost positive that you will come to the same conclusion that I came to years ago......Ribbons and Tubes are a match made in heaven!!!