EL34 in Cary CAD120S bias info needed

Hi all,
I want to try out SED EL34 to replace KT88 in my CAD120S
Any CAD120S owner has try this ?
How is the sound of EL34 ?
Should I keep them at 140mA bias point (as manual stated)?
Many thanks
Thuan
128x128thuan98
Thuan,

It seems like every amp is different, for example, my VTL ST-87 biases at 270mA for each of 4 EL34's.

I spoke to someone (Gerald, I think) at Cary a while back about the biasing of the 120S for EL34's and he said it should stay the same at 140mA if I remember correctly. I would give Cary a call to confirm though as you need to be sure of this.

Let me know how you make out and how the amp sounds with the EL34's. My 120S is on the way back to Cary for service at the moment and I'm using the Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 in the meantime. Have a nice weekend !
Thanks for all responses,
Plato, what was wrong with your 120S ?
I bought mine 50hrs used - Has transformer hum when turn on.
I just roll with KT88 Gold Lion re-issued output tubes, sound much better than stock but not as quiet as stock (has little hum thru tweeters)

I also try Sylvania 6SN7GTs NOS on both input and driver stages but don't hear much difference compare to stock 6SN7
Best
Thuan
Plato, you say that your 120s is on its way to cary for service .... just curious... is there a problem with the amp or are you having upgrades done?
"Plato, what was wrong with your 120S ?"

Yeah, please, can you comment about it? also, how do you like the Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 versus de 120S? Thanks
Hi all,
I'm listening to my CAD120 with EL34 now.
One big issue: I can only crank up the bias max 90mA
Yes, with EL34, bias pot hit the max yield 90mA
I send email to Cary regarding this issue - will report back when they responses.
I need to break in new tubes at least 50hrs before I can compare to KT88
Thanks
Thuan