grainy sounding high end system

Hi, I hope this is the right forum to ask this question. I have a quite decent audio system at home, which consists of Pioneer CLD-98 laserdisc/CD-transport, Bel Canto DAC 1.1, Conrad-Johnson Premier 7b preamplifier, Mark Levinson 333 amplifier and Dunlavy SC-IV speakers. Though this is a "high-end" system on paper, it sounds not very high-end to me: the overall sound has a grainy quality, it has compressed dynamics, the low end is quite lousy and the highs are too prominent. Why is this happening to me? I have invested a lot into this hobby and is this my reward? What could be the reason for the abovementioned grainy sound? Maybe I have to get a better CD-transport, like the TEAC P-30 for example.
dazzdax
I think CJ is having quality control *issues*. I just heard of a CJ preamp being serviced at the factory and then blowing up a couple of Aragon 200W monoblocks...
Dunlavy went out of business in November, 2000. That's not a good sign. The Pioneer CD player sounds like your weakest link. If you compare yours to a Mark Levinson CD player, the graininess of the Pioneer CD player will be obvious
Redwoodgarden, I think you meant 2002, not 2000. Agreed that this could not be a "good sign" for Dunlavy fans or audiophiles in general, but the fact doesn't carry any implications with it about the sound of past Dunlavy products like Dazzdax's speakers.

Psychicanimal, C-J's service and quality control have been exemplary in my experience. The incident you relate could be due to a number of possible circumstances, maybe connected to the service visit, maybe not, but I wouldn't assume that C-J won't take the responsibility if they are to blame. Either way, I don't see how: A) One anecdotal episode (and not one with a final resolution as far as you tell it) could let you know that a company is having "issues"; B) This story of yours has any bearing on Dazzdax's situation or the sound of C-J pre's in general. What could your motive be in throwing out such an accusation?