Advice on Setting Up A Laptop-Based Audio System?

Hey, I'm looking to set up a workspace audio system based around my Apple Powerbook G4. I've got about 100 GB of uncompressed audio on an external hard drive. I currently have Monsoon planar speakers and matching subwoofer hooked into the laptop through the 1/8" audio out, which soundsokay, but I think I could do better.

I don't have a PC card slot in the Powerbook, so I'm limited to a USB audio connection. I'm not looking to hook this system up to my "big rig" -- it's just for my workspace. I was looking to bypass getting an amplifier, unless it's fairly small.

I was thinking of going with some powered mini-monitors and maybe some kind of adapter/DAC in between, but I'm space-constrained and not looking to spend more than say, $600 total.

Any suggestions?
marc_dc
Have you seen the Scott Nixon USB-Tube DAC reviewed here http://www.audioreview.com/USBTDcrx.aspx

I think you can buy it in a kit to save money

Just plug it into your laptop and connect the other end to any amp

Of course the quality is only as good as your amp & speakers, but it gets you past the analogue output and with no other type of interface, like SPDIF, in between

Should provide the best quality available from a PC
$600 total ?
get M-Audio/RME/tc electronic and logitech x-540
uhmm... for a bit more:

most pcs have a feature that allow the soundcard to output s/pdif. from the 1/8" phono jack. not the best way, but works.
dont know if macs can do it.
if they can...
just add a nice DAC that has s/pdif input and jitter elimination system.
Mytek dac96, Benchmark dac1, Lavry Back, apogee minidac, Lucid DA9624, RME Adi-2, etc... etc...
altman micro machines, etc... etc... etc... etc...
I would use a firewire DAC option. The one on this page

http://www.home-speaker.net/diyhometheaterspeaker.html

is the echo firewire 12 12 I think.

I have heard nothing but good about it. I is a bit unknown at this time in high end audio but well know in pro community.

But the firewire protocol is known to be better than USB by anyone who knows the difference between the two.

Just my opinion!