Room acoustics - yet again

I have the books and the theory of room acoustics for rectengular enclosed rooms. Any guidelines for irregular (ie partly-cathedral ceilings, multiple openings to the listening room) ? Or is it the usual measure-listen-change ? My problem is finding a reasonable starting spot and tewak from there.
ikarus
I too am blessed (!) with a very irregularly-shaped room(s):
a two-foot sofa-enclosed jog-out on the left wall, and a 45- angled fireplaced cut-back on the right, with large openings right-front (to entry hall) and behind me into another smaller library-roon. Add to this a 7 ft Steinway B, and an insistent wife...phew! Yet I heartily disagree with the stated view above that irregularity is completely unfortunate!
Staggering driver/boundary distances becomes almost automatic, and problematic bass modes are smoothed, too! The piano's depth required that I find reference speakers that had sufficient bass to be way out from the front wall (8-9 ft), had great WAF, and worked in the nearfield (as a 7.5 ft triangle is all I had left). Several 3-ways (esp Nautilus) couldn't cohere in the nearfield, and rear-firing woofers (Verity Audio Fidelios) sounded anemic. Fortunately I was able to find outstanding speakers that work exceptionally-well (Parsifal Encores, woofers front-firing).
The triangle evolved by trial and error acoustically. I used
soundstage development and tonal cues as guides, as I was unaware of software for irregular shapes. The resultant soundstage is VERY deep, yet triangular (piano angles back starting 1 ft behind the speaker plane; opening on right rear). Having non-parallel
sidewalls seems to be very beneficial, as I have very little
first-reflection anomoli. Measurements indicate surprisingly flat bass response: only a mild bump at 80 Hz... although it's a little hot at 6kHz because I toed in to widen the sweet-spot and reduce reflections.
My friend who is pres/owner of a prestigious acoustical consulting firm (ex-BB&N Acentec) was pleasantly surprised at the stage I was able to produce. His "very good!" proclamation says a lot.
His sole mod was to lean forward even closer (only 6.5 ft off the plane); interestingly the guys at Verity Audio had suggested pulling my chair forward a bit as well. Sitting
in a 7 ft triangle in a 14x24 space seems a bit close, but
the soundstage is easily as wide as the room, and sometimes
20-30 feet deep (the Alephs help here)! Apologies for my quasi-bragadocio, but I want to urge you to proceed with confidence and good cheer, knowing that the asymmetry can have benefits.
Maybe you needn't worry too much about software-assistance, either, but I would urge you to be VERY careful with speaker selection. To risk repeating: whereas many 3-ways will cohere reasonably given
sufficient distance, I certainly found that extra care was required when selecting for near-field use. Getting the modernistic N803 past my wife was a great initial coup, but what awful sound in the nearfield! I had also been warned by some at this site that "loading" a piano soundboard in the room was a big taboo, and that non-parallel sidewalls
would result in a non-rectangular stage, but I certainly experience NO ringing or resonant overhang from the Steinway (maybe it helps that it's horizontal?--an upright would be problematic?), and I don't really miss hearing the "back corners" of the stage, as often referred to. Sorry to not be concise, but I'm now a firm believer that a well-damped, asymmetric living room can make a wonderful listening room as well. Visiting friends and musicians are soon transfixed, exclaiming often "it's like he/she's right THERE!..." Truly gratifying. So don't sweat the software and trust your ears when selecting speakers carefully. Hope this helped. Good luck. Ernie
O.K. I have an emergency here..... I just went by the new house I am having built. The room is 17'wide x 15' deep with cathedral ceilings. The carpet was laid yesterday and I thought that would tame things down a bit. BUT it got WORSE. Now if I stand in the the center of the room and clap my hands the slap echoe rings for at least another second!!! Although it rings in a nice little image in the center of the front wall, you can almost walk into it. Will the blinds, couch, and entertainment center cut down on this much? Should I allready have some treatments in hand when moving in? Having the ceiling lowered is not an option. HELP.....
Nomoney - yes, drapes, blinds and furniture will help enormously ! Before doing anything, wait until all furniture etc are in place. If you still have slap-echo, consider hanging stuff on the walls (I had a small oriental prayer rug one time). Actually, I found out that cathedral ceilings is actually a blessing - you don't have to worry about reflections from the ceiling too much. My problem is that my ceiling only goes half-way to the room, then drops down. This causes a placing problem for my speakers.

Thanks for the tips guys...
Thanks for sharing your experience, Subaruguru. My speakers are sealed cabinets and do well in a near-field setup. The software referenced above was only $50. For that much it won't have to do much to provide a decent ROI. Unlike you I have no WAF to consider, so can setup where ever sounds best (which is the current plan!).

Interestingly, after doing the usual over analysis of the situation my conclusion is similar to yours. While this new room is 'irregularly' shaped, that does not mean it isn't somewhat 'symmetrical'. My hunch is it's characteristics largely balance out. For example, the 'L'-shaped living room area is open on both ends. The kitchen is on one end, the hallway to the bedrooms on the other. There is also a small office area that adjoins the bedroom end of the space that has double doors that can be opened or closed depending on which works better.

In fact, 'space' was a key consideration in picking this place (it took 3 months of searching to find it). Now, for the first time, there will be adequate space between, behind AND beside the speakers. They'll actually have room to breathe. Can't wait! The only thing left is to actually do it. Everything else is just part of the challenge.
Ikarus, Thanks. I am hoping that is how it turns out. I might go ahead and try to have some things on hand to try and tame it down if needed. You know you can not go to sleep after moving into another house without the the stereo at least starting to sound right.