The winters lessons.

I think it's time to move on from this past weeks discussions to something new. This past 5 months I've tried out a number of different footers, shelves, tweaks, power cords and conditioners. I'd like to share what I've learned here and hope others will do the same. Due to the unreasonable length of this thread I've broken it into three posts, Footers and shelves, power cords and conditioners and tweaks. That way you only need to muddle through my rambling if they interest you. My basic set-up has not changed this year, SCD-1,Kora pre-amp, Aloia amp and Audio Tekne interconnects (and my Empire turntable, clearly not a major component here). I started trying different footers but I went in a bit different direction that Redkiwi. I have been trying a number of Black Diamond Racing products since using a series of cheap cones and have found through a lot of trial and error a good match for my system. I also bought two sets of (OB) Orchard Bay cones, one titanium and one brass. These became the building blocks for me. As a lot of you know, and some don't like, I have a sandstone slab on a masonry hearth so my base is solid and in effect ground. For Christmas I got some BDR pucks, Cardas caps and these "vibration sheets" sold at Music Direct. As a summary of the following posts I would rate the value of the below items in the following order. 1- BMI power cords, 2- P300 power conditioner, 3- Neuance shelf, BDR puck, 4- Quiteline filters, 5- Monster HTS-2000, 6- dedicated circuit. For the rest you'll have to judge for yourself after reading this. If anyone has particular questions feel free to post or send me an e-mail. I tried to keep notes so I could tell you more, GOD FORBID!
J.D.
128x128jadem6
Good question Ken, and I'm not sure I can fully answer it without some assumptions. The P300 was the last component to arrive and therefor has had the benefit of all the footer tweaks. I have however played with the stock cords and P300 alone and of course the custom cords without the P300. For my system the stock cord on my pre-amp would have been adequate. The cords on my amp and SCD-1 are must haves! The SCD-1 seams to be the most influenced by the cord selection and that might be attributed to the quality of the power supply. (that is pure speculation) The P300 has more influence on how quite the background is where the cords have greater effect on bass definition (I might want to check this statement, the P300 does indeed tighten the bass beyond any cords work), sound stage and separation of instruments. Interesting to me that the P300 benefits from power cord selection almost as much as the SCD-1, and with the right cord will increase all the components performance a notch, maybe making this the first component and not the last like I did?
Now as far as footers, every time I received a new cord I found the footer placement required revision. The cord seem to either place it's signature on the equipments performance or bring out a certain aspect of the equipments performance. Sometimes a whole sale change was required, most times a very small relocation. (It's highly possible these small relocation tweaks are psychological and not factual, but for my system there indeed needed to happen) That line of thought and my experiences are for a follow-up book, "How My Stereo Drove Me Back To Drinking". I guess what I'm thinking is that they work together in a synonymous relationship along with the equipment itself. I'm not sure there is a right answer, this footer with this cord equals... It should be noted that the reverse was not true, or not tried I should say. When I received a different footer to try, I didn't feel compelled to try other cords. I think it's because the cords tend to have such significant impact in comparison to footers. Cones and the like are final tweaks in my mind. Now for your benefit or input (and I realize your not comfortable plugging your product), I found my Neuance shelf straight out of the box to increase space on the sound stage and open the entire presentation in a way no other product had. I would say the Neuance does indeed have a large impact, rated close to the power cord benefits. The tonal qualities as noted by Redkiwi do indeed change over time, and in that the time required for those changes I have only set the shelf up as recommended and not played with it. Summer is on it's way and my listening time goes way down, so that's when I intend to try some things. I also would like to find enough money after my friend Uncle Sam is done with me next month to buy a second shelf for comparison. For now I am fully reliant on Red and his fantastic advice. J.D.
Great thread, Jadem6 -- thanks for sharing experience & tips. I particularly liked the one about the metal dish w/water. I'll use the trick to relocate my cones.
BTW, chords do work, we now even have scientific evidence (See Elisabeth's thread on this same forum).
Surprised you get little effect on yr pre. I tried one cone under the pre's power supply, placed opposite the power connectors pointing down, listened for 10' then, added two more. I am probably deaf, but IMO the sound is better -- just as clear but with better transients -- with one cone.
Gregm, how did you do the one cone? Do you mean you just raised that end? I've also thought about putting a weight on the power supply in that it is a fairly light component.
By the way, water in a shallow dish over a tube pre-amp is an extremely scarry thing!
Yup, as you say Jadem, the cone placed about 1/4 way back next to a screw that secures the power transformers onto the base of the box.
Weight: I DO have a weight on the supply (though mine is heavy) -- forgot a compact dictionary i never use on the box, bit less than the size of the power supply box. Kept it there ever since. I beleive (i.e. voodoo?) it makes a clarity difference, esp. in the mid-low bass.
BTW, my pre is SS -- not that I'm much safer, as you say.
Regards
So Greg, do you think the vocal quality has improved? I'm thinking the dictionary has somehow helped in the pronunciation, thus giving tighter image.