Blind Listening Tests?

I would like help locating any articles or studies on the subject of blind listening tests as it relates to high end audio equipment. I realize this is akin to blasphemy for many who are into this hobby, however, the more times I read of people claiming to hear audible differences between certain components and system set-ups, the more skeptical I become.(e.g. equipment racks ,interconnects,etc.)The fact that virtually every major audio publication is so adamently against the idea only adds to my skepticism.

Before I invoke the wrath of this site's faithful, let me clarify that I am not doubting the sincerity of those who claim to hear sonic differences between certain components. However, believing that an audible difference exists when one knows that he is listening to a piece of equipment that is generally well regarded or made by a well respected manufacturer is entirely different from being able to detect the difference in a blind listening scenario. Given the undisputed connection between the mind and our perceptions, why is there so much sentiment against such tests? Couldn't the results of such testing be simply another piece of information that we could factor in to our purchasing decisions. It seems to me that those who are so sure of ther critical listening ability (i.e. all stereophile reviewers) should not hesitate to prove their skills.

I look forward to any help in directing me to more information on the subject.Thanks, Don.
dtittle
Couldn't agree more, J.D.--this is about belief, not science. Just click your heels together, and your system will sound great!
Jostler,I enjoyed your wizardry,and voted it as such. Now what want to know; should I be blindfolded,when I click my heels? Or do I also need to do the 6 women thing? Does that need to be done blindfolded also?Does the blindfold go on them? According to all my many "friend"---Yes
A little story comes to mind:
When CD's first came out, there were those nuthead believers, who maintained that interconnects between the CD players and the other gear sounded different and worse, that they even had directivity. Of course they were ridiculed by "Science" and probably told to klick their heels (-; ( by the way,works only with gear from Deutschland) because bits were just bits after all. Until it was found out, that even minute faults in the solder joints would cause jitter and suddenly those first ridiculed, became rehabilitated. The history of science is full of similar stories. It is not just a question between knowing and believing, there is something inbetween, namely "experiencing", gathering empirical evidence, which would lead to new hypotheses ( and those at first are generally "beliefs" ) which then in time could be turned into knowledge, widening the scope of science.
I think we should not bicker with each other, but rather listen to and learn from another. The believers should learn to be sceptical and careful, the scientists to be curious and openminded. Obviously looking at many posts here in Audiogon, this is a difficult thing to achieve. Everybody rides his own high horse, he should rather get down of.
Well, I'll get off my donkey now too and shall try to repeat J.D.'s experiment and invite six 24 year old women over and then we'll see (hear) about them cones, hopefully , I'll not be too distracted. JD, did you listen with the lights on or off? This seems an important parameter as well. I've got goospimples all over in nervous anticipation and I must be off now and get on the phone, to get things rolling. Sorry Jademo, can't klick my heels, because my gear is either Brits or US colonial. Should I sing "Rule Britannia" perhaps?
I'm lost now, I've got USA, Italy, France and Japan going. I guess I can still click in that Philips helped develope my SACD! Detlof, My experiments went on for days, it's tough keeping six women entertained, oh and we had the stereo thing too. Lights off is good to start, you'ld hate to scare them all away. When morning arrives they just want more, more power that is. That's when you break out the big one, ah the Krell, yea that's it the Krell. Good luck my friend, pace your self and don't try all the positions, ah for speakers I mean the first night.
Yes JD, you make sense, Holland is close to Germany, but then you should only klick heels, wearing those funny wooden sandals, the Dutch are famous for and that's also why all the SACD stuff needs wooden cones...and besides stereo, did you also try multi channel and did you use one or serveral power purifiers at the time? I am sure your powercables were Master Couplers, weren't they, but then probably Jostler the wizard will prove me wrong. But all the same I would like to ask him, if one or more ladies were inadvertedly to sit on the gear fired on, would that cause a brown out? Oh and don't worry JD, I won't play with positions at all. I've got my speakers on cones you see.