Mobile Fidelity Recording

I have heard several of these cd's and have been very unimpressed. They are slightly better then the originals but not by much and the general over all quality poor. The only good ones I have heard are Pink Floyed which are great to begin with. Am I missing something? Did I just happen to not hear some of the better ones?
perfectimage
IMHO, the majority of the MFSL catalog is *very* good - I own about forty or so titles, mostly on LP. As with any label, they have a few "misses," and critics focus on these - mainly with the criticism of "midrange suckout." The most obvious example of a MFSL LP to avoid is The Beatles White Album - it's just a stinker! (in my opinion - Oh no, here comes the negative feedback!) But not to belabor the *negative* (feedback or otherwise), the majority of the titles are wonderful! Cat Stevens - I agree!! Muddy Waters - Folk Singer - Impeccable!! The extended and crackle-free Who - Live at Leeds gold CD- Indespensable!! MoFi is *sorely* missed - my heart sank when they went bankrupt.
Mobile's orignal approach was to not apply an (re)equalization when transferring from the master tapes, whereas most (all?) "regular" versions were typically equalized for the perceived listening preference of the audience or radio play or to actually make up for some weakness in the two track master, as I'm sure you know. The MF idea was faithfulness to the original. This often made for an awesome result, but sometimes revealed undesirable characteristics of the master. I don't know whether this approach continued into the CDs, especially the more recent, or not because the technical direction of the company certainly changed hands.
Iam not impressed with mobile that much. HDCD and 24/96 I find much better, not so dirty sounding you know,like they place a blanket over the mike.
My 2cents worth.
I believe the MOFI's releases overall to be of the the best remastered recordings in the industry. While some of the titles were poor to begin with they never fail to astound me with there ability to translate music. Wish they could have made sacd's before there demise.