Shelf Material

I have tried so many different shelf materials, and some are better than others, but I feel like I am just spraying bullets that always miss the bulls-eye. So far, I cannot live with the brightness of glass, the ringing of marble or granite, the sluggishness of acrylic, the muddiness of mdf etc. Light and rigid seems better than heavy and dense - in that I can live with the downsides more easily. I use heavily constructed welded steel racks - spiked to the floor and upward spikes supporting the shelves - and I reckon this is right. I like the way bladder products get rid of the resonances that plague shelves, but find that the way they slow down the pace of the music is hard to accept. Does anyone have some answers on this?
redkiwi
It seems to me that MDF would make a very good shelf material - low mass and high rigitidy. I use 3/4" instead of 1/2" with good results as a standard (non-suspended) platform. It also has no grain. Am I thinking correctly? I have a 5' x 2 1/2' x 2 1/2" maple glue-lam butcher block that I salvaged from a restaurant but would rather go with MDF based on the info in these posts.
I certainly don't like MDF in practise - a very muddy sound. I don't have the ability to try such things as the BDR or Polycrystal shelves before buying (since noone stocks them here), and hence this post. But I quite like the BDR cones and so bought some of the BDR pucks - and they sounded awful. If they represent the BDR shelf then no thanks. I have actually got a lot of good ideas from the above posts and am in the process of trying or acquiring some of the less expensive suggestions. I am happy to splash out on the expensive stuff, but would prefer to see a concensus of more than one before doing so. It looks like the Butchers block qualifies. I wonder if Kevin has a point. Caterham and I tend to concur that you want light and rigid, release the energy quickly but damp the main resonances. But Kevin is suggesting the light and rigid shelf, and then deal with the resonances with some form of compliance between shelf and component. This may very well be right, but I tended to think of the rack as doing the light and rigid task and that you would begin to damp the resonance with the shelf. I don't like two forms of compliance in a system and so I have tried to get "dead" sounding shelves and use cones. My theory may be right, but the practise is possibly too dificult to achieve - we will see. Kevin may have a more practical solution. Am I missing something Kevin?
Regarding the use of MDF for shelf material, experiment with two MDF pieces cut to suitable shelf/support size, try one "plain" and get the other one either hand lacquered or two-part spray lacquered in a piano black finish or similar. Use some type of "footer" above and below the MDF whilst you experiment. You may change your mind about using MDF. If you can try this and find that something is happening that you like with just this single "shelf" then let me know and I will let you have some drawings for a very cost effective support platform (we make our own similar, platforms but once shipping overseas gets involved they do not become cost effective - bit like shipping large loudspeakers all the way around the world, you end up paying to ship "air"). Hope this helps..?? Richard, vantageaudio.com
Redkiwi; I love this kind of gritty obsseviness-- makes me feel right at home. But my therapist thinks.......! What kind of shelves/rack do you actually use in your present system? Also what kind of floor do you have, and anything else relavant to the vibration control problem? A couple of years ago I decided to go with "mass" and made a 200+ lb. stereo stand-- concrete in the corner posts, well braced, MDF shelves,spiked to floor, etc-- works good, but can probably be critisized in some areas. Concrete in the corner posts was not the "absolute best" choice, but decisions had to be made if I was going to have music within a reasonable period of time (BTW, Sound Anchors Speaker Stands uses concrete in their stands, which are used by Vandersteen). Many other materials and design decisions had to be made if I was ever going to finish my project. So, I'm really curious as to what you've actually been using. Cheers. Craig.