Sound stage

I have heard a lot (from sale people) about sound staging, so I would like some in put from all members of this NG. >>What is an IDEAL sound stage? DEPTH( from the front of the speakers), WIDE(extented from speakers), HEIGHT(from the floor)<<. Any inputs will be Appreciated..
qroger
Answer to GregP: The Dynaquad has a pair of 10-watt 2-ohm resistors (I can't remember, maybe you should open up the box and look) that go into parallel for the "null" position of the front switch, and then bridged with the rear speakers in the quad position. In any case, you're looking at less than 3 ohms. If the amp doesn't get too uncomfortably warm to touch, it's OK, you have over 220 watts at that impedence. But why bother? The Walsh driver creates it's own ambient surrounding, why degredate the sound by using the never-were-too-good Splendors? I would put all the power to the front and turn it up 3 dB!
Thanks, Fotopres, and you would be right about the Ohm Walsh speakers and ambience, but they sit in a large and pretty dead room. I don't think that two speakers are enough in such a sound swallowing place. Digital processing didn't somehow feel right, but old Dynaquad usually does the job, and it's my favorite word, cheap. The Spendors work fine for ambience, though their sound is not as effortlessly "soundstagy" as the Ohm Walsh or the Spicas that I have.
About sound stage: The bigger, the better. Can you see the musicians? Do you feel like you are in a different room? Does the sound appear to be coming from the speakers, or from invisible musicians?
I have a Chesky Ultimate Demonstration CD that has commentary between the tracks to tell you about the recordings and the sound. Very helpful for this kind of analysis.
the ideal soundstage is that which existed in the original recording venue if properly captured by the recordist...most stereo recordings have have some of htis data and will give osme kind of imaging. all the dimensions noted can come back---including the vertical one. on the minnie ripperton perfect angel album, on the song 'loving you' there are birds up in a tree. on a good system, they are UP in the tree. on the organ performance of pictures at an exhibition an musical heritage LP, the high pipes are just that like they are in a real pipe organ.(not my fave perf here but the effect is there). milli224 is right about 'amused to death', i was lucky enuf to score vinyl of this when hobson and tan had pacific vinyl(a mail order service before classic records existed). on the vewrtical note, the helicopters in 'the wall' are overhead. the quadaptor is something ive used since the 70s. i now have the 5ch model, i dont use the center for music but do for video. shack min7s in back, mirage ctr in fc, malibu lighting wire (16ga, good insul.) for rear and ctr, kinber 8tc direct from adcom 555II to l+r main spks, all other chnls from quadaptor. i dont worry about ohmage with th adcom, remeber the apogee diva was 1 ohm and successfully by the 555II back in the day? live recordings such as dire sts 'on the night' are spectacular this way. overall, dyna imaging is sometimes diffuse but so is live music if youre honest about it. however, some imaging seems locked in such as stravinsky's petrushka by boulez on columbia (now avail on cd coupled w/rite), my fave trushka by the way. i have a new in the box 5ch quadaptor if someones interested. hifitommy@aol