RE: Tube swapping in Alpha DAC

Per the comments in a previous post: Swapped out the two Sovtek 12AX7WXT in my DAC with GE 5751. � vast improvements in top-end air: cymbals shimmered � good improvements in space: the sense of the recording venue improved � transient attack: let's just say that I was repeatedly startled by the content from very familiar recordings � tranparancy and detail: improved to such a degree that micro-dynamic shadings among guitars, piano, and vocals enabled a whole new level of immersion into the music; the decaying tones among some percussion were simpy mesmerizing � smooth: bye-bye tizzy asnd brittle top-end � width of soundstage diminished a very small amount; apparent depth increased by a significant, but not large, degree What a deal. The GEs cost less than the Sovteks ($8 vs. $12) and improve the quality of the music emerging from my system. The change was more obvious and significant than many wire swaps I have made.
dischead
If you are ready to spend a little bit of money I strongly recommend trying mullard 12ax7 from the 50's if you can find nos go for them. They make huge improvements top to bottom. I have had very good success with this myself.
If you are ready to spend a little bit of money I strongly recommend trying mullard 12ax7 from the 50's if you can find nos go for them. They make huge improvements top to bottom. I have had very good success with this myself.
I tried GE 5751s in my Alpha and hated them. The clarity and speed of the Chinese 12AX7s were gone, replaced with a more golden sound, but also much less resolution.