Listening room ceiling type?

I'm in the planning stages of my listening room in my basement. The dimensions will be approximately 13' x 19' with the ceiling measured 7'7" from concrete floor to the bottom of the joists above. The joists are 2x10 with a finished length of just less than 9". It is my intension to fill the space between joists with Roxul mineral wool bats. These bats have a 3" thickness.

Should I stick three of the bats between each joist to fill the space or say two bats with an air space between the floor above and the first bat and again an air space between the first bat and the second with no third bat at all. The joist run perpindicular to the direction the speakers will be pointing.

Also, I have had a suggestion to us burlap to cover the ceiling but thought this might be to absorbtive. I've been considering a drop ceiling of 2'x2' panels (1st choice) and a fixed drywall ceiling (2nd choice if not 3rd after burlap). Any advise from some of you folks in the know would be much appreciated. Thanks, Tom.
cosmic_void
Hey Tom - I've just gone through a renovation and did research some of this stuff, though I did not end up putting my listening room in the basement as I thought I might. Anyway, the best approach if you have a ceiling that low, and this is a second-hand suggestion from an authority on such things so take it with the usual grain of salt you may with any advice you receive here, is to leave the joist bays open and do not use any drywall or panel covering. Stuff the bays with the (uncovered) insulation of your choice. There is a more expensive, very dense almost wool-like insulation that we used upstairs in our home that is the best solid insulation for sound dampening (better still is blown-in but that may not be a good idea if you are leaving it uncovered). So you leave the insulation exposed and hang some kind of fabric beneath it to cover the ceiling and keep it sealed up. The combination fabric and insulation will be much better at deadening that low reflective surface than just hanging fabric over hard drywall. If you must do drywall I'd consider blown-in insulation and a more agressive acoustic treatment attached to the ceiling such as those sold by RPG.

Marco
Suggest you forget the drywall ceiling, and use acoustical tiles, which are not called acoustical for nothing. I used Roxul bats, and Celotex tiles that are 2x4' but made with a groove to look like 2x2'. One three inch Roxul bat is plenty. Use lengths of steel wire cut an eighth of an inch longer than the distance between joists to hold the Roxul up against the floor. Leave an airspace between the Roxul and Celotex. Avoid flourescent (sp?) lights; use recessed lights instead. There's a rule or formula for spacing recessed lights to prevent shadows on the walls. I used this approach. It has many benefits. e.g., sound doesn't travel to the main floor; ceiling is practically transparent acoustically for good vertical soundstaging; combination of bats, airspace, tiles, grid, joists, and lighting make for good absorption and diffusion; and it's easy to remove tiles if needed for pipe, electrical, heating, etc., repairs.
Good luck
Jay
I wouldn't go with a drop ceiling: Too much shaking around. If burlap is OK with you, I would go with Marco's suggestion: Use sound insulation (like what you were thinking about) between the joists up against the ceiling and leave an air space. An effectively taller ceiling will give you better acoustics and you can add half a foot of height with the burlap approach.