Broke and still not happy

I like new country and good old rock & roll. My system sounds sterile, flat sounding,not musical and harsh in the highs.I have been playing bass guitar in the same band for 35 years for a living,I think I know what music is suppose to sound like. This is my gear.
Sonic Frontiers Line 1se,Classe Cam 200s,North Star Design Dac&Transport,Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors,Rel sub.Cables are balanced Nirvana SL pre to amps,Nirvana SL to speakers and Nirvana SX from source. Vibrapods under everything but amps. Echo Busters.HELP
gellis1
I can understand that. I've never owned tube equipment myself but have heard of people bi-amping speakers using solid state for the low end and tubes for the highs.
I would prefer a solidstate preamp with tube amp, rather than the other way around. That is, assuming ones speakers are "tube friendly." But that's just me.

The problem with highend audio is there are so many routes to take. Yep some are going to say you have good equipment and others are telling you to sell it all, including the room and house. How many of us have identical components? Hardly any. That should tell you something.

Sounds like you may need help with power, resonance control, and acoustics? well maybe not all three. But the happiness seems to lie in the details. I think he's psychic! Do you have a local mapleshade or walker audio dealer? they are usually pretty good with helping you with cost effective and sonic effective tweaks. Just a thought. No affiliation with mapleshade or lloyd walker.
ANALOG, ANALOG, ANALOG !!! Where is your turntable ? A good analog rig will enhance any system. You have some excellent equiptment which deserves a good source component. If funds are a problem, get a VPI scout or Nottingham rig. Make sure that it is on a very sturdy level and HEAVY base. Since you are a musician, I'll bet you have some 2&4 track open reel tapes. Get a reel to reel on Ebay, some factory pre-recorded Reel to reels and be prepaired to be amazed.
Most high end gear IMO isn't great for rock since it tends to emphasize the midrange, and other subtleties that are not mastered well into rock recordings.

If I had it to do over again, and maybe listened a little less to classical and jazz, I'd go with top end P/A speakers and professional amplifiers. Every commercial joint I've been in where I thought "Wow the sound is great in here." I noticed used commercial gear.

If you're into rock, pop, country, etc., I think that's the best bang for the buck, and will get you closer to what you're used to hearing when you gig.
After looking at your system I am surprised as many that it does not sound great. However, if you do not have a good synergy between components, even the most expensive of systems can sound like crap. If you are truly not happy, I would suggest you sell the system here on Audiogon and start from scratch.

Also, simplify things. Eliminate as much cabling as you can. For example, go with a high quality one box CD player like a GAMUT, an Electrocompaniet, or a CARY. Digital Cables can be the devil in my opinion. I was never happy when I had my Theta combo as I was always found good in bad in switching the digital cable. I got to the point where I three sitting around for different types of music. A one box source eliminates this link.

Also, maybe consider a larger pair of Speakers opposed to Monitors and a SUB. I personally love your speakers as I own the Concertos but my room is small. It sounds like the sound you are looking for might be better suited with a larger cabinet.

Also, stick to one cable product. Do not mix and match. If you like the Nirvana use their interconnects, speakerwire, and Power Cords as they are made to work together. I used to mix and match and have stellar results using all Audience Au24 and their matching Powerchords.

I hate to say this to but ditch the Vibrapods. They are are anything but an improvement IMO. They do more bad than good (At least they did in my system). I agree completely with your comments. I cannot stand using pointed hard brass or metal isolation devices either as I mainly listen to CDs and SACDs. Too much detail can take the emotion out of the music IMO.

I have recently purchased some Tone Wood Vibration Devices made from Brazilian Rosewood that would floor you on your system from a company called Monument Reference. You might want to check something like that out for your digital source. They add a sense of "space" with digital sources that is hard to describe.

Also, take out your echo busters and listen without them. Then add them in. Make sure they are an actual improvement. Not all things work well in real world applications. I do not think this is your problem but you want to eliminate every possible suspect.

Then take a look at your power set up. I know I will probably take a lot of crap for saying this but ditch any and all power conditioners. I have tried a lot of different combos and the best results I have had has been with using aftermarket power cords plugged straight into the WALL. There is a real nice guy named Albert Porter here on Audiogon that sells Cryo'd outlets for a reasonable price. Upgrading your wall outlets is a great cheap tweak.

Anyway, there is my two cents for free. I really wish you luck because I have been there.

My system now is not the most expensive but probably one of the most musical I have ever owned. It is also one of the most simple systems I have owned. I always grin when I go to my local high end shop and listen to a 30 or 40K system that is set up and I can usually find fault with it. It is all about synergy and the music.

GOOD LUCK!

Chris