I am confused about 15A and 20A current.

Electrical Expert:

(1) How do I get 20A out of the main power line in my house?

(2) Is it typically setup 15A ?

(3) Is there a conversion unit (15-20) available?

The reason that I ask is that as soon as I turn on the Rotel RB-1090 (rated 380W) the circuit breaker breaks.
Thanks,

-TT
midfi
All:

Thank you a lot for all of your comments; they are great suggestions and are helpful information.

I will have to return the Rotel and leave the circuit breaker the way it is, then try another amplifier. I heard the Rotel is a very good amp, but it takes so much effort to make it working.

Thanks again.

-TT
Now, now don't take the Rotel back. This amp can't be drawing that much juice. What all else do you have plugged into this circuit? Or what all else shuts off then the circuit breaker pops? You might be able to simply rearrange things in your home and place them on different circuits.

Marty
Midfi,

Don't return anything just yet. Maybe I'm off base here, but it sounds to me like you are tripping the breaker with inrush current. When you first power on that amp, all the caps inside must charge and do so very quickly. This can cause a perfectly functioning circuit to trip as the initial momentary current exceeds the breaker's rating. However, those same caps discharge slowly unless drained.

I would suggest you try this: Power on the amp (with your pre off). If the breaker trips, turn the amp off then reset the breaker, then turn the amp back on. My guess is that after the breaker trips once (maybe twice), it doesn't trip again...until you turn the amp off for awhile and turn it back on. Instead of turning the amp off, leave it on all the time...it's better for the longevity of your electronics, anyway. Hope that helps and let us all know if that works...
Could the tripping maybe be from a worn out circuit breaker ?

I had a circuit breaker that seemed to trip too easily so I replaced it with a new one of the same vaule. The problem went away.
I have just completed development on a 15 to 20 amp "current upsampler" with breakthrough, patented, capacitorization technology. Let me kow if you are interested.