What is everyone using for dedicated AC lines???

I need to buy some dedicated AC cable.

What is everyone using? Romex?

I want the best performance, I will tear out the cable when I leave the house. If its not up to code, oh well, I'd rather have better performance anyways.

I thought about 10/3 Romex for the amp and 12/3 for the CD/Preamp.

What do you think?

Please, no arguements over this I need to buy cable ASAP!
asi_tek
Solid conductors are prefered in any given situation except for situations where flexibility or repeated stress is of concern. I know of "honest" cable manufacturers that will agree with this statement even though most of their products are of stranded design for reasons of flexibility. Twisting reduces inductance and increases capacitance, which helps lower the noise floor and increase the rejection of RFI. Combining the two offers the most benefits with the least drawbacks of any other approach.

As a side note, use the heaviest gauge wires that you can use within reason. 12 gauge should be considered a minimum for any type of A/V installation. Sean
>
Glen, if 10/2 solid romex cable were run, wouldn't the cable withstand 50 amps max? According to my handbook, a 10 awg solid wire can hold 50 amps max while a stranded 10 awg can only hold 23 amps. Also, do you think is a good idea to use 10/3 20 or 30 amp twistlock connectors than a 20 amp Edison? ThanksAlfredo
I don't know what handbook you are reading, but try passing 50 amps through ANY 10 gauge wire for an extended period of time and see how hot it gets. Ratings like that are foolish at best. 50 amps of current through 8 gauge will show a very definite temperature rise. As far as i'm concerned, 8 gauge is sufficient for 30 to maybe 35 amps of current. It will obviously pass a LOT more than that on short term demand, but it is at the times of high demand that you want the least sag possible. That may not agree with anything else you ever read, but then again, i'm not willing to accept the low standards that the industry uses. Sean
>
I hate you guys, why, because it's Sunday night (my day off) and I just pulled out my NEC code book to check something.
Table 310-16 states that a #10 conductor THHN has an ampere rating of 40 amps. A #10 tw (Romex) has an ampere rating of 30 amps. Regardless of these ratings there is a note on this table (240-3) that say's the overcurrent protection shall not exceed 30 amps for a # 10 copper conductor.

Buy the way stranded and solid conductors have the same number of circular mils and thus are rated the same.
Glen: Thanks for posting what you did. I had always thought that 10 gauge in conduit was rated for a max of 30 amps. Given that most of these ratings are running "on the edge" or even "slightly over the edge", i've always found that going at least one gauge heavier than what they recommend helps maintain steady current flow with minimal voltage sag. That's why i said that 8 gauge was good for 30 and "maybe" 35 amps. Sean
>