OT: Windows XP Update Service Pack 1

I just figured that i would "warn" others about this. You can find my thoughts / experience about the subject by clicking on the link below. Sean
>

most recent Windows XP Update
sean
Aboldor, thanks for the response. Someone on AA also suggested that installing the service pack simply set my computer back to "default" and / or changed other programs in the way that i had them configured. As such, i guess that Microshaft should basically say ( without the 6 pages of legal jargon ) "you will have to reconfigure your computer after downloading this upgrade". I did not expect this "Service Pack" to take me backwards, only to enhance what was already there. As such, i am ready to chuck all of this crap and go back to the old tin can and string routine....

Ozfly: Glad that at least something good came of all of this. Hopefully, a few others will be alerted to their potential for "foul play".

Lugnut: I too am using Norton, which has normally worked fabulously for me. Downloading this service pack seems to have played with more than a few things, possibly altering the performance of even that program. Sean
>

Sean
>
Well, I'm definitely not a Microsoft fan, but I did install the xp service pack when it came out and my system works fine, all apps and the network. I just went to the Shields Up site that Sean suggested and found that my system is in full Stealth mode. I didn't change anything.
(I will tell you that I hated XP with a vengence when I first installed it. It took many full days and still my scanner only works on my old Win98 system (backup computer).
It's not like I don't mind rag'in about Little Billy Gates but I can't this time. The download was fast(Gotta Love Cable)and the installation was slow but no problems. I too have a loaded puter, 1.8gig 512meg-ram. Mr. Gates loves to slow ya down, so ya need/want a faster puter, therefore pay for newer software/operating system. There is a reason he's so rich.