What is vibration isolation for?

Where do these vibrations come from? From where I stand the earth doesn't shake too badly?! I would think that most vibrations would come via sound transmission through the air directly through the chassis of the components thus rendering the racks or other vibration isolation, uh, useless, no? (with the exception of actual thumping from walking etc)
neubilder
So who says? It all started with something that makes sense, that is isolating a mechanical contraption called a turntable from vibration coming through the air and through whatever the tt was placed on. Makes a lot of sense when you consider the problem of acoustic feedback and the microscopic nature of a record groove. It then got crazy when people started believing that solid state electronics sounded better when somehow isolated, hence all kinds of stands costing way more than they should. Strange thing though, speakers are spiked to couple them to the floor and the building's structure so that the energy is dissipated and tiny little vibrations obscuring the sound removed. In a perfect audio world there would only be vibration where you want it. In the real world, it's a little less perfect. So you got your spikes, your Sorbothane feet, your ball bearings, your sand boxes, your lead filled tubes, your sand filled tubes, your equipment suspended from cables and on and on. But the best part of all that is your imagination which can let you create all kinds of HUGE improvements, the better for you to enjoy the music. The scary part to me is that the earth, apparently from what some science-type people proclaim, is revolving on its axis, and going round and round. If you add to that continental drift, seismic activity and the like, is it any wonder that true high-end subjective audiophiles fret so much?
Best tweak I have ever experienced was of all things... isolating my cd player with an Ariel Osiris stand. I really didn't expect much, but got it at a very good price, so I thought I might as well try it. My system came to life in a way that everyone noticed. Could be there were more intrusive vibrations in my system than in some other situations, but I'm very happy with it now, and that says a lot.
First they put springs under a turntable and claim success. Next they'll be putting springs under automobile suspensions, claiming it makes the ride smoother.

What next?
Anybody here tried one of them new fangled "Levitator" isolation doohickies from www.GR-Research.com/levitator.htm?

Acrylic plate floating in air based on repelling magnets...

Looks really cool but does it work????
I will be more specific - I can understand the use of isolation with mechanical things like turntables(of course), cd players, and speakers, - but people are doing this to amplifiers and pre-amps. I understand the concept of microphonics and that sort of thing, but my point is wouldn't most of the vibrations be coming via the chassis of the component itself - not the table it is standing on?