Phase inverting preamps

Apologies in advance for this newbie question. I was reading some reviews of preamps and a couple said that the preamp "inverts phasing" and that this would have to be accounted for elsewhere in the system. I know what phasing means, but how and where does one allow for it elsewhere in the system?
4yanx
Ouch, guys, it isn't left and right that are inverted. It is as KP said above, pos and neg. Just connect each pos speaker terminal on the back of your amp to the neg terminal on the speaker. They say they do it to save a gain stage necessary to flip the signal 180 degrees back to positive polarity. "Phase inversion" is commonly used to refer to reversed polarity.
I have a Croft Vitale pre-amp. The manual states:

"Important: Pre-amps WITH gain invert phase, therefore you must connect the loudspeaker terminals so that (the +VE speaker cable is connected to the -VE terminal) & (the -VE speaker cable is connected to the +VE terminal on the loudspeaker only)"

This is verbatim, including confusing punctuation. I thought it meant to switch the + and - connections for each channel on the amp, but after reading Killerpiglet and Phild, I'm confused. Especially since I don't know what "VE" means.
After reading this instruction from the manual, can you help me and explain? Thanks.
--Neil
Gee, and here I thought I was the only one confused! :-) As I understand things so far, if you have a preamp that has inversed phasing (polarity), one must "flip-flop" traditional connections at the SPEAKER posts (i.e. positive to negative and negative to positive). Correct? I imagine that experienced hands here at Audiogon will find this dilemna at least mildly amusing, so excuse my (our) confusion.

My readings said that the inverse phasing must be accounted for SOMEWHERE in the system. Does it make a difference WHERE this occurs? Who has the authoritative word on this subject?!
The analog music signal input to your preamp is alternating current. The electrical voltage of this signal constantly swings between positive and negative in a manner corresponding to the musical information (I know this is an oversimplification).

If the preamp outputs a positive voltage when the input signal is positive, the preamp does not invert phase (more properly called polarity). In this case the output signal is identical (except for amplitude) to the input signal.

If the preamp outputs a negative voltage when the input signal is positive (and also a positive voltage when the input is negative) then the preamp is said to invert phase (or invert polarity). In this case the output signal is a mirror image of the input signal.

If you're in the camp that believes that absolute polarity doesn't matter, then just relax and enjoy the music.

If you want the system to maintain absolute polarity, then you have to flip (i.e., invert or mirror image) the positive and negative going parts of the signal one more time.

The easiest way to accomplish this is to reverse the speaker connections as described above: right power amp + to right speaker -, right power amp - to right speaker +, etc.)

It has nothing to do with reversing channels.

BTW, the point of this exercise is to keep the speaker diaphrams in polarity with the original microphone polarity. In other words when the michrophone diagram moves inward in response to an air pressure wave we want the speaker diaphrams to move inwards as well.

Trouble is, recording studios don't normally keep track of polarity, and some studio gear inverts it. Thus some recordings are correct, and others have inverted polarity.

On multitracked recordings, the absolute polarity may even differ from track to track, so that the two channel mixdown cannot be polarity correct.

Some preamps and most digital processors provide a polarity (or phase invert) switch to allow you to cope with polarity problems on the fly.

So can you hear the effect of improper polarity? I think I can, but not on all recordings. Inverted polarity usually shows up as "woolly" bass and soundstage problems.

The effect of improper polarity is called the Wood effect after the guy who first documented it. These has been much written both pro and con on this topic.
Thank you, Ghostrider! I have understood your explanation, and it makes sense. I only pray that I can remember it for the next time I wonder why the hell my BAT preamp has that "phase" switch on it, and what I'm supposed to do about it.