Use of Ferrite Cores for EMI Reduction???

I've been doing a lot of research on the net lately about the use of Ferrite Cores to reduce ElectroMagnetic Interference (Yes, I are an engineer). It started when I bought a digital camera and there was a Ferrite Core at each end of the USB Cable AND one at the end of the power supply going into the Camera. The directions said that it was for noise reduction through those 2 cables! So I thought, HEY, I have cables in my Audio System...

This really got me thinking about the use of Ferrite Cores to significantly reduce the influence of any stray EMI that could be degrading the sound quality. Does anyone have an idea of this would help, OR does the EM shielding that already comes with most cables do the trick?

Any hardcore Electrical Engineering input would be GREATLY appreciated. Am I on to something worth trying, or just full of bunk??
hager_charles
You can buy a "billion" ferrite clamps in various sizes from either Digi-Key or Mouser ( can't remember which ) for the price of one small package of the Audioquest stuff.

Do a search through the old Greg Weaver articles on Soundstage and he even gives you part numbers. Some of these might not be valid anymore, but the dealer can probably cross reference them to current stock. They do have a minimum order, but it would still be less than buying a package of the AQ parts. If you can't find the part numbers, i'll try to look them up tonight or tomorrow. Sean
>
Hello Charles. Have you visited this website? It has a very good discussion of noise and ways to control it. Also a *very* good DIY noise control section:

http://www.magnan.com/
Check out the Audiopoints.com site and see what they are using with their cables and AC cords!
I was getting taxi cab and cell phone calls through my speakers. I solved the problem by using rf stoppers on the interconnects from my pre amp to amp. The heavy duty ones 2 per interconnect.
be careful what you do with those ferrite clamps. I clamped 1ea. on a pair of Audioquest Lapis interconnects; they killed the highs & PRaT was all but gone. Sold the whole pack forthwith.