Words From the Wise

Hello fellow Audiophiles and Audio Enthousiast. I've been in the game for a little over 4 months now and I've learned tonnes of stuff along the way thanks to some very knowledgeable people on this website and in my local community (but mostly on this website).

I'll get right to the point.

Whether you are new to the game or a veteran I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the top 5 things you would tell a fellow Audiophile to better his/her enjoyment of this wonderful hobby. Please use point form or short paragraphs
buckingham
1) Go to some live concerts of your favorite music. It is a great way to keep your ears tuned.

2) Get a copy of Robert Harley's book "The Complete Guide to High End Audio" 2nd Edition. Probably the one book that could be called an audio bible.

3) When it comes to any kind of music or audio system take it from Duke Ellington "If it sounds good, it is good" (to you).

4) If you want to experiment, don't be stopped from trying a component, accessory, tweek or anything else audio, just because someone else said it does not work, has no effect, or is a waste of money. Find out for yourself. Every system is different. (Beware of Trolls)

5) Leave enough money in your budget for lots of software (CD, Records, etc) That is really what it is all about.

1) spend as much on your front end components (CDP and turntable) as your amplifier and speakers

2) spend twice as much on software (LP's and CD's) as you do on your hardware

3) always buy power cords and interconnect used

4) never, ever admit the true price paid for anything to your significant other. White lies are part of the hobby

5) follow the advice of most on this site, it's invaluable
1. Start with a great front end. Information lost or corrupted at the beginning can't be corrected with speakers.

2. Tube amps are generally more musical than solid state. For the same money initially invested, tubes are better. They just cost more to maintain.

3 and 4... Excellent points

5. the most important point
1. Keep your perspective. There are far more important things to spend your time on, rather than comparing brand x component with brand z or worse thinking about it.

2. Don't follow the upgrade path to madness. Otherwise you will spend more to realize that you could have spent less.

3. Less is more.

4. Ignorance is bliss. Who cares if there are better components out as long as you like the music that is coming out of your speakers.

5. Forget the system and listen to the music. Go out and spend time listening to live music with friends and family. Leave audiophilia to those with nothing else better to do.
1. Always think of your system as a SYSTEM. You and it are only as strong as the weakest link. In other words, don't think that skimping in one spot can be made up elsewhere in the chain. It can't. Sooner or later, the "sore spot" will reveal itself. This is not to mention that your listening environment and attitude are a MAJOR part of what you hear & experience, so take that into consideration BEFORE all of the other variables.

B= KISS ( Keep It Simple, Stupid ). The more you have to think about it, the more complex it is. The more complex it is, the less likely you are to relax and enjoy it.

3: Realize early that there is always something newer or better on the market. If you can't get the "i've gotta have it" syndrome out of your system, at least try to make well planned progressive steps. The only way to do that is to know what you want to get out of your system to begin with.

4- Strive towards long term goals but do it in a fashion that makes for plenty of enjoyment along the way.

E) Try to involve as many friends and family members as you can in your hobby. Music is for sharing and enjoying. Who knows, you may end up with an audiophile sidekick to compare notes with. Two people make listening twice as good, etc...

F> Listen to as wide a variety of music as possible and don't neglect to do it "live". There is a BIG difference between listening to a recording of someone playing an instrument and experiencing someone weaving a web of musical notes.

7* Go back and look at how i indexed the various tips listed here. If you didn't notice that something was "funny" right away, you're overlooking a LOT of simple details. Learning to pay attention is half the battle when it comes to doing something "right".

Sean
>