Why aren't component active XOs more popular?

There aren't many active crossover components listed on Audiogon. Why aren't they more popular?
winchell
Thanks for all the responses. As my bro-in-law explained it to me, the active XO is just another way to get the most out of an amp and also to get the most out of a system's environment by manually controlling which components receive which frequencies.

I'm new to high end stuff but after getting to know my equipment I think this would be a fun thing to do, especially with an entry-level crossover not being very expensive.
It's not so easy to add an electronic crossover after the fact to just any system. To be brief, first you need a speaker which truly has separate crossover paths for each driver, and not just two or more sets of terminals on each speaker. Second, you need to know, or discover, any number of characteristics of the passive crossover that comes built in to the speaker, for example, baffle step compensation, zobel networks, the optimal operating range of the drivers, plus the frequencies and slopes chosen by the manufacturer (hopefully) for good reason.

In terms of sound quality, it makes no sense whatever to with entry level, non diy electronics or speakers. In terms of being able to play around...maybe it makes sense.
b.l.zeebub, that's what I would have thought and both Bryston and LCAudio do list 6db crossover options. I'm sure that there is/was some sort of misunderstanding but, none other than Roy of Green Mountain has said here on audiogon that active crossovers can't achieve the results he desires and achieves without going digital that he can passively. In some case it may be that one may have to convert from the digital domain. The horror!
Suits me: Have you ever seen serious test results from most "audiophile" speakers? The mass majority aren't nearly as well designed or integrated as one might think. "Audiophile grade" loudspeakers are one of the highest profit margins out there ( outside of cabling ) with the least design integrity behind them. That's why DIY speakers and forums discussing such things are so ripe for the picking with useable information. As such, experimentation in this area can typically result in steps forward in both sound and one's sonic education. So long as any "modification" is easily reversed, there's really nothing to lose here other than pre-conceived notions and an education about modifications that many consider to be "taboo". Sean
>
Sure, a lot of manufactured speakers are junk. So's a lot of diy stuff.

Anyway, here's the last two lines of my post:

>In terms of sound quality, it makes no sense whatever to with entry level, non diy electronics or speakers. In terms of being able to play around...maybe it makes sense.

What I meant and thought I said was, "It makes no sense whatever to with entry level, non diy electronics or [non diy] speakers." I thought the second "non diy" was implicit, and I could say why, but perhaps it's ambiguous.