Tubes? Transistors? Which are better?

It's an audiophile debate: Which are better, tubes or transistors? I have a been a big fan of transistors for a long time, but recent auditions have turned me into a partial tube head. Which tube designs sound best? Do transistors sound better?
uliverc113
hey, leafs, i finally got to hear my brother-in-law's res-audio cd-50 yesterday, & it *is* excellent - but that's when run thru his a-r ls-16 tube preamp. he said he can't listen to it run straight into his amp for more than a half-hour, cuz then the sound is way too etched, harsh & grainy. his a-r 100.2 amp, while solid-state, has a *like tubes* characteristic. interesting to me, tho, was listening to the buena-vista social club on his cd set-up. while it was wery nice, i much preferred my vinyl copy on my turntable. les depth, on the cd, and, surprising to me, also less detail... doug
Another issue which is underplayed is maintenance. Tube amps require a lot more know-how. For example, I only recently found out (the hard way), that you need to always have speakers hooked up to your tube amp. It is a hobby, albeit one with an excellent return (great sound).
It's a matter of personal taste but that even order distortion makes me smile every time.