How did you get into this hobby?

I grew up listening to small boom boxes, never heard even a Mid-fi system.

When i joined the military, i first started seeing some component systems. Bass pumping, louder than the big bang.
I thought, "How cool"

Bought my first reciever a few months ago, and a couple low end speakers. Ever since then ive been upgrading.

Now my current system retails new at over 8k(everything included) paid under 6.5k, and with upgrades ive spend over 11k so far.

Been doing this for maybe 5 -6 years
audiophanatik
Big Brahm's fan now, I guess early 80's alternative music solidified it for me. I too used to make endless dubbed copies of tapes from LPs and later CDs. My mom dragged me all over the world after my dad died. So, I took my Aiwa walkmen and box full of 80's alternative tapes, so I don't have to listen to the stupid tourguide yelling at us on the bus. Would like to go back to Europe again sans the mom and tour groups.
My cousin got me into it in the mid 70's at 15 and it has been an on again,off again passion since. My family was pretty musicaly talented ,but I cannot even whistle.I should have pursued Vocals though.

My cousin use to have Home built JBL's then SOTA EPICURE Towers and amps. I was hooked. I always come back to it.
I got into it through my friend and his dad. His dad was a rep for quite a few speaker companies in the 80's and early 90's and still does some work for a couple of them. It kind of shocked me the first time i heard his set of M&K's or his dahlquists or the RTR's in his garage. Now i own a set of dahlquists and thanks to him, i will no longer be able to enjoy having money ever again (fast food jobs arent conducive to maintaining an expensive hobby).
Dad built me a pair of speaker when I was 12, they started to buzz bad and I tryed to fix them ,after awhile I just started over and built new ones that was 26 years ago still doing the same thing.JK