Jazz- Modern big band

Was going to post at Jazz Recommendations but thought better make a new thread... Any suggestions for good contemporary (let's say last 20 or so years) big band material? Economics make this an increasingly rare format, but there must be some good stuff out there. I read about Maria Schneider in the Dec. Sterophile; maybe I should try her. I have and enjoy Gil Evans sessions at Sweet Basil. I suppose Thad Jones and Mel Lewis still have their orchestra going. I used to really dig the Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin big band; Akiyoshi must still be doing her thing. I haven't been paying attention for a while and don't have anything in big band, besides the Evans, from the 80's or 90's. What should I be aware of?
jayboard
check out Arturo Sandoval's Hot House disc. i think he may have done another with that big band. it's latin stuff. great IMO but YMMV.
kid creole and the coconuts did some real interesting stuff a few years back. on the more recent side, i like squirrel nut zippers and the brian setzer orchestra. not quite classic big band jazz but enjoyable nonetheless.
Maria Scneider is probably the newest and best on the scene. How about Claus Ogerman
This is great. Some of the suggestions make me go, duh, what’s the matter with me—I knew that. But I’ve lost touch, and the ideas don’t come as fluidly as they used to. ….. I didn’t know Jones & Lewis are gone – see what I mean. Mingus Big Band – knew of Sue Mingus’ project but have not taken the time to plug in – must rectify that ASAP. ….. sdcampbell, is that David Murray with octet plus other pieces? I like(d) Carla Bley a lot, back in the day when I was more current; that’s a good tip. I have some Sun Ra and saw his Arkestra a couple times – space is still the place. ….. People always come up with unexpected angles! I like Latin stuff – I should check out Hot House. (Triggered a fond memory of some Dizzy Gillespie with Afro-Cuban bands.) Kid Creole & the Coconut?--makes me chuckle. Cornfed, I agree – they were so cool. It's a good practice to sing “I’m a Wonderful Thing, Baby” to your wife now and then. Can this Ed Palermo make Zappa swing? ... I’ve taken note of everyone’s suggestions. Thank you all very much.