Greatest Guitar Band

I thought just before Christmas I'd get a good thread going. IMHO,the greatest guitar band was the Yardbirds, not because E Clapton,or J Beck, or J Page was in it but because Chris Deja, and Paul Samwell-Smith were great rhythm and bass guitarists that could rock and keep up with the above. Plus Jim McCarty the drummer could keep the group in line and fine harmonica work from Keith Relf(ok not the greatest vocalist, more of a finesse singer).They had it all, I cannot think of another band that had three great guitarists in the band at one time(J Beck, C Deja, P Samwell-Smith). In 1967, when J Beck and J Page were in the band togther as co-lead guitars, they were the lead in band for the rolling stones, they just blow them away,ok, that is not a fair comparison considering the rolling stones still cannot play their instruments very well. But in comparison to say Led Zepplin, LZ did not have a rhthym guitarist(except J Page would overdub that part on recordings). That made them sound not as well rounded live as far as guitar work is concerned. I am not saying LZ was a bad band on the contrary,they put on probably the best show ever, but I do not consider them a guitar band per se. Besides, J Page stole vitually from his former band anyway. Remember "How Many More Times" is a repackaged version of the YBs "Smokestack Lightning", a Howlin Wolf tune. YBs version is in my mind the best rock song ever. So what do you think????
shubertmaniac
Dekay SRV's recordings are all so good you can pick anyone but if you want to get to meet his music start with his "greatest hits", it has a great retake of Hendrix's Little Wing or try "Live Alive" and listen to his take on Hendrix's Voodoo Chile. Another great artist we lost long before his time. All his material is good. Bet if you try anyone you will be back for more. Mike
since we are talking guitar bands, the original three guitarists of Lynyrd Skynyrd were quite the trio, who can forget the amazing solo by Gary Rossington on Call Me The Breeze. Nothing like their double lead.
Thanks Mikec: Little Wing is one of my favorite's done by JH. The only time that I have heard SRV was on a TV special that showed concert footage a couple years back, and I was very impressed. He did a Hendrix tune then but I think that it was different from the two mentioned, can't remember what it was though, maybe the one that Robin Trower did (blank on that one too, I'm happy to say:-). Funny, I just picked up a copy of "Electric Ladyland" this past week at a junk store, the stereo effects really got the cats ears going. My wife said "it's hurting their ears" and I said "no, they're just tripping."
Dekay i remember playing ELL by JH for the first time back in 68 on one of those old huge cabinet console TT and was just blown away listening to what Jimi was doing with that guitar. The bands were excellent at that time and were coming out fast. How bout The Doors even today still great sound, timeless. As far as i'm concerned that was by far the Golden Age of Music and the crap thats out now isn't even concidered music. Pitiful- the best music has to offer now is far and rare. I guess all around its modern jazz for most of anything new. Find myself keep playing the Classics for the real thing and the tuner for any new crap. Sorry but my feelings about most new material.