Greatest Guitar Band

I thought just before Christmas I'd get a good thread going. IMHO,the greatest guitar band was the Yardbirds, not because E Clapton,or J Beck, or J Page was in it but because Chris Deja, and Paul Samwell-Smith were great rhythm and bass guitarists that could rock and keep up with the above. Plus Jim McCarty the drummer could keep the group in line and fine harmonica work from Keith Relf(ok not the greatest vocalist, more of a finesse singer).They had it all, I cannot think of another band that had three great guitarists in the band at one time(J Beck, C Deja, P Samwell-Smith). In 1967, when J Beck and J Page were in the band togther as co-lead guitars, they were the lead in band for the rolling stones, they just blow them away,ok, that is not a fair comparison considering the rolling stones still cannot play their instruments very well. But in comparison to say Led Zepplin, LZ did not have a rhthym guitarist(except J Page would overdub that part on recordings). That made them sound not as well rounded live as far as guitar work is concerned. I am not saying LZ was a bad band on the contrary,they put on probably the best show ever, but I do not consider them a guitar band per se. Besides, J Page stole vitually from his former band anyway. Remember "How Many More Times" is a repackaged version of the YBs "Smokestack Lightning", a Howlin Wolf tune. YBs version is in my mind the best rock song ever. So what do you think????
shubertmaniac
The nominations of The Yardbirds(especially) and Led Zeppelin are pretty hard to argue with. But, I really have to support Rosstaman and John-l on the Allman Brothers. Duane Allman and Dickey Betts were absolutely mind blowing together. And since Duane Allman and I both feel Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" was the most influential album to us(only thing he listened to for 5 years), it's easy to see why I love the Allman Brothers so much. The ABB guitar playing is the rock version of modal jazz.
You guys are great (the baby boomers). What about Big Brother and The Holding Co especialy W/Janis - raw and great. I have most of what has been mentioned on Cd and had on Lp. Oh how i miss my TT and that sound !!! Thanks
I have to cast my vote for the Allman Brothers with Duane and Dickie. The interplay between those two was something to behold. Honorable mention has to go to Lynyrd Skynyrd and Houses of the Holy was a very special album. I saw Gregg Allman at the House of Blues in New Orleans last month. He had a band with slide, lead and backing guitars and the Brothers double drum setup as well. HOB holds maybe 800-1000 people and Gregg put on a pretty decent show for a legend, considering the audience wanted to help him sing.
Hey Sfbaydude, the problem with Aerosmith is Tyler. I'd rather listen to fingernails on the blackboard than hear him "sing". BTW, in the early years, Whitford blew away Perry.
To Ben: In order for a guitar band to play well it needs a drummer that keeps the group in order. The harmonica playing of Keith was just an added bonus. OK, I loved the Yardbirds maybe because they could play their instruments. Maybe I liked them because what ever came after them was a rip off of the group. Whether Eric, or Jeff, or Jimmy was lead guitar they were inventive,never took themselves seriously. An interviewer once asked Keith Relf why he played in a RnR band...his response :to meet chicks and get laid!!! After them things changed it went from being club rock (J Beck still likes performing in small clubs or venues) to stadium rock. Things change but not necessary for the better. Look J Page basically took the Yardbirds in 1968 changed their line up added a very strong vocalist and a very strong drummer and really created stadium rock. He took Yardbird type riffs spiffed it up with very long(boring?) guitar monologs PUFF LED ZEP. When E Clapton left the group because of the direction the band was heading, he went to John Mayall for awhile, but I think he was appalled the way John approached the blues. Next formed the power trio CREAM with J Bruce and G Baker. Awesome trio, J Bruce maybe is the greatest bass player of all time (Ben--he could also play a down and dirty harmonica too). Cream also went the way of stadium rock. Spoonful and Crossroads were perhaps their best songs, both blues songs. J Beck teamed up with R Stewart and R Woods and produced one fine album in Beckola. My point is whatever came after the Yardbirds was derived from their seminal lead guitarists. The Yardbirds were there from the beginning whetheryou wanted staight up rock, blues based rock psychodelic rock, even folk rock, Remember, the drummer and vocalist formed one of the finest folk rock groups Renaissance. They were creative and knew how to play their instruments(J Beck began experimenting with sitars well before G Harrison did for the Beatles,listen to the sitar version of Heart Full of Soul.) Probably the reason I liked them is they never never took themselves seriously.