Best recording / performance Dvorak Cello conc.

in B minor, I think.

I mislaid my penguin guide and I'd like to replace a very old LP (that cost 25 cents) with a CD.

Thanks

Sean
seandtaylor99
Well, just to mix it up some more, here are some CDs I have that I can recommend:
1. Dvorak & Walton Cello Concertos, Gregor Piatigorsky, Munch, Boston SO. RCA Living Stereo.
2. Dvorak Concerto & Bruch Kol Nidrei, Lynn Harrell, Ashkenazy, Philharmonia. Decca/London.
3. Dvorak & Elgar Cello Concertos, Pierre Fournier, Szell and Wallenstein, Berlin Philharmonic. Deutsche Grammophon.

These are all famous cellists. But to get away from the big names for a moment, I'd like to second the good words above for Maria Kliegel on Naxos. I haven't heard her Dvorak concerto, but her Naxos version of the two cello concertos by Shostakovich is very fine, and well recorded too. Finally, and perhaps my own favorite, a Swedish BIS CD features Frans Helmerson and the Gothenburg SO under Jarvi. This has excellent sound and is a very likable, rewarding performance, having more the feeling and sound of a live than a studio performance. Worth checking out. Happy listening.
Texasdave, Thanks for the recommendation on Helmerson/Jarvi. Jarvi's Dvorak on Chandos is pretty good, generally speaking, so I'm going to give this a try. :-)
Currently, they might be tough to find on either cd or lp, but I would opt for either Gendron/Haitink/London Philharmonic (Philips) or Harrell/Levine/London Symphony (RCA), especially the Gendron/Haitink, beautifully detailed and recorded.
The Fournier/Szell and old sound Casals/Szell as well as Starker/Dorati are widely considered to be the best. If you want a Rostropovich, the DGG BPO/Karajan SACD is historic (in the period of glastnost). I have a tape live with Cleveland Orchestra and Szell in 1969 that beats the DGG easily.