Perfect Soundtrack for Stylish Sunday Lunch?

As much as I love a wide variety of music, I seem to have great difficulty matching music while entertaining guests.

This weekend, I am hosting a lunch for a few couples, some of whom are visiting from overseas, and I really need to make a good impression.

Perhaps it is because I am more interested in sitting down and really focusing on music than having it in the background, I find this so difficult.

Things that immediately come to mind are usually pretentious, overplayed, distracting and/or just plain wrong -- ie if I showed up at lunch and heard ein klein nachtmusik, the Four Seasons, or Diana Krall, it might put me off my food.

Then again, I dont want some cutting edge, underground, just pirated in from a night club in Paris kind of vibe unless I am intoxicated or non monogamous.

Now I have NEVER tired of late night dinners at Cafe Luxembourg listening to Kind of Blue, but since my house is not off Amsterdam Avenue at 2AM, they might not quite fit either?!

So any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

1:00 PM, in the country, rack of lamb, Bloody Marys, and ______ on the stereo.

Thank you very much.

PS

And maybe an iTunes compilation run through the computer would simplify things as well?
cwlondon

You may want to cue up Mark Knopler's solo stuff, it's really nice acoustic music with some very low-key vocals. I like Springsteen's "The Ghost of Tom Joad" for that kinda get together too.

If you find your guests boring I strongly recommend you drink a lot and listen to Frank Zappa's "Does Humour Belong in Music" and Rage Against The Machine's "Battle of Los Angeles".

Happy listening, Jeff
just plug in an xm radio tuned to the all-disco-all-the-time station. after about 5 minutes, you'll realize the mutual enjoyment of your friends' company requires no soundtrack and, for the best of them, no conversation.
Tomasz Stanko "Suspended Night"

The sticker on the CD says that if everyone who owns 'Kind of Blue' listened to this, it would be a best-seller tomorrow. It is one amazing CD, in my opinion. Very accessible, non-cliched jazz trumpeter and his quartet.
I found it at Tower Records.
If you have Cable or Satelite, why not put on "Soundscapes"...great mellow background music