Yes remasters/ HDCD

A number of times on here people have asked about the best sound quality of various Yes albums available on CD.

I have previously reviewed the complete Rhino remasters set on Lugs http://lugsmusicreviews.com.

Last week I at last tracked down a copy of a Japanese import HDCD version of Close To The Edge.
I have to say I was very impressed by the sound quality,it is louder and clearer than the Rhino version-of course I can't state if this is true for every release but I have to say the HDCD versions (remastered by a Japanese gent whose name I don't have at hand) seem the way to go.
These versions unlike the Rhino ones only contain the original track listing.
ben_campbell
Gentlemen--

FWIW, I'd suggest consulting the archives at alt.music.yes (usenet group). The Japanese HDCDs have been discussed there extensively, and I seem to recall some of them had flaws.

Also, I believe most of the HDCDs are still available at a website called CDJapan. Sorry, don't have a link handy.

As for myself, I also agree that CTTE is their finest hour. I still have the original Atlantic cd, so I'm 2 remasterings behind (3 if you count the Japanese HDCD). Been thinking it may be about time to upgrade. . .
I must disagree with you Ben campbell and slipknot1; the definitive Yes album is Yessongs. If there is a better live rock/fusion album ever recorded, I want to hear it, IMHO. It is the one I've listened to again and again over the years and am still in awe. I've owned it on album, cassette, and CD. Anderson, Howe, Wakeman and Squire at their best! To accomplish what they did playing Live! is remarkable. If you don't fully appreciate it as quintessential Yes you may want to listen again. Yours Is No Disgrace, Siberian Khatru, Perpetual Change, Close to the Edge, Starship Trooper.... IMO the tracks on this album are far and away better than the studio versions. (which is almost unheard of for most bands) I don't have an SACD player nor does my player have HDCD; I do have Yessongs CD remaster. I would love to hear it at a higher level of sound quality. The real test of any band is how they perform live as opposed to the studio where the music can be tailored and tweaked. The recordings chosen from the Yessongs tour and put on the album were that rarity when everything came together for the group to produce mastered artistry and magic. Their other live albums don't even come close. IMHO this is their shining star.
Foster9 I think the last time I heard Yessongs was easily over 25 years ago!
I don't have an HDCD decoder on my CD player either (Ayre CX-7)but the HDCD version of CTTE does sound better than the Rhino.

Yessongs is available on the HDCD release but the Rhino remasters missed it out.
Curbach I'll need to check out that newsgroup for info.
Foster9

Point well taken. Yessongs is a glorious work! I have the original Atlantic vinyl version (2 copies) that both include the booklet of stage shots from the shows at which the album was recorded. I never tire of looking through it, nor do I tire listening to the versions of the songs on that album. It reminds me of seeing them at the Montreal Forum in 1973 or 1974 (I must be getting old). I also remember watching them do "And You And I" in the Boston Garden in 1977, at which time they shot neon green lasers up from the stage in front at an angled mirror that reflected them fractured, back down onto the stage so that it looked like a curtain of rain falling in front of the band. Truely transcendant! I mentioned CTTE as their best work from a compositional perspective, but I will admit that Yessongs performances rival or surpass the studio work of some if not all of the songs represented. Good call!
I know that this does not address Ben's question but, as a 30+ year fan of Yes, I cannot let a Yes thread pass without urging folks to spring for the Fragile LP - UK red/plum Atlantic pressing 2401019. It is absolutely stunning if you can find a mint copy (I'm HOARDING four without shame). I personally find all UK pressings far superior up through Yessongs. If find the UK Yessongs a slightly better mix with respect to the stick work. Bruford on Long Distance Runaround is AMAZING. Alan White is on nearly all other tracks, but still excellent. Advice is to buy the UK or even the US version, but do not waste the extra on the Japanese version. Quiet, maybe, but b r i g h t. I saw more than one show on that 1972 tour - and many before and since.....

For anyone interested in a remarkable YES discography, check out this link and download the PDF file!

Speaking of CTTE -

How old will I be before I come of age for you?!

http://yescography.tripod.com/yescat.htm