The majic of early 1970's rock and it's influence-

Starting with the Beatles and the Rolling Stones in the sixties; then adding in the Vietnam War, and the sexual revolution, which also occurred at this time, I think the time frame of 1970-1975 created the majority of rock's geniuses, the likes of which probably won't be seen again. I use, for examples- Jimmy Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Yes, Elton John, Genesis, the Allman Brothers, Janis Joplin, Eric Clapton, Jethro Tull, Santana, and Neil Young, just to name a few. I think earlier (pre 1970) rock concerts of large attendance, such as the Beatles tours and Woodstock also had a profound influence on the social change during this time. What do you think?
talon4
There has been nothing that can touch some of the classic Grateful Dead shows from the early 70s. There was a reason some people used to say "Eat, drink, and see Jerry".

Or, not strictly rock; can you think of any music that has rivalled the sheer artistry and power of the original Mahavishnu Orchestra (album: The Ever Mounting Flame)with John McLaughlin, Jerry Goodman, Billy Cobham, Rick Laird, and keyboard player who was Jan Hammer I think..not sure about that one.
Hi Viridian,

Wow, now that's something. I initially had the same reaction to Krall. Listening to her was like watching a 50's movie with the bar slut singing. Be that as it may, I finally got hooked on "Peal Me a Grape", I mean it's so comical you have to love it! From there her style, such as it is, grew on me. For pure awesome voice, I love Ronstandt's works with Nelson Riddle. I mean the instrumentals are first rate, but her voice seals the deal. Hearing her talk, OTOH, is like listening to finger nails on a chalk boards. Oh my gosh, she is a shrill chatter box! How that translates into such a great singing voice is beyond me!

As for Zep, I tend to avoid box sets due to cost, but I give it serious consideration, thanks!
You know you're getting old when the "oldies" radio shows aren't old enough for you!

I grew up and reached adolescence in the 60's so I have a soft spot for late 60's and early 70's rock. I find that people are "imprinted" with the music of that stage of their life, the same way that my parents loved the big band sound of the 40's and the way that my children seem enthralled with their music today.

And while I'm on my soapbox here, may I express my continuing displeasure with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for not having Jethro Tull. Thirty-seven years and counting and still with a strong following. They should rename the place the "Top 40 Hall of Fame".
Don't date me improperly, I'm your age. I just think a lot of what was done in those days was not on par with what preceeded it. I think Sinatra is more likely to be listened to in 100 years than Babe Ruth, not fair as they were not even a 1 hit wonder. Seriously though, I do very much doubt the staying power of a lot of rock. I do still listen mind you, but there is a lot more crap then there are gems there, IMO. My taste has just matured.
Interestingly enough the new Q magazine in the UK has the most important band in the world today on the cover (their words not mine)Led Zeppelin.

Sure not all Rock greats endure and there is an element of fashionable acceptance involved-in the years between 78-85 Zep were universaly panned by the critics and in terms of influence of new bands they were non-starters.

Everybody mellows to an extent as they get older,some less than others and some music dates for you and some doesn't.