Living Stereo SACD Releases

I just bought all of the latest SACD releases from RCA Living Stereo. They are all recordings off of the original 2 and 3 channel master tapes. I am just floored by the quality of the sound from these discs. Nothing fancy. No 5 channel reinterpretations. No compression, or "remixes." Just the original sound as originally recorded in the mid '50s early 60's. The Van Cliburn Tchaikovsky/Rachmaninoff and Heifetz Beethoven/Mendelssohn are particularly noteworthy.

There are about ten titles out so far. At about $10 each, some being two record sets on a disc, I have to say these are some of the best recordings I have ever heard out of my rig. I love my L.P. collection of the same titles but these just blow away the originals on my system.

Thought you all would like to know. Anyone else heard these yet?
eddaytona
I know some of the Mac era preamps had 3 chn capability, I suppose to use with a pair of K-horns and a single Belle Klipsch for the center. What was the play back source piece for the 3 channels ? I missed this era of equipment by a few years..Very intriguing concepts, center channel fill, greater dynamic range, lower distortion more extended highs,simple recording path..How long ago was that leap forward..Tom
Theaudiotweak...Center was always driven by a L+R mix signal. I did that for about 30 years, but what we have now is much better.

Regardless of how you make the master tape, compression/peak limiting is necessary when you cut an LP, along with LF blend, and the usual RIAA mutilation of the original signal. Much less of this is necessary for a digital disk.

What is meant by "35mm film stock"? Are we talking about optical recording? 35mm magnetic tape running at 30 inches per second was the usual medium for master tapes.
Mercurys prior to number SR90275 (approx) were recorded using analog tape, then 35 mm tape was used - but not exclusively. SR90282 was recorded on analog tape for example. So, many of the great Mercurys were recorded using analog tape. Cheers.
Of the RCA LS SACD's, I find the Ravel Daphnis & Chloe the best in performance and sound. It's also one that will not be replicated on Mercury.
Eldartford, a very insightful response to my post. Your facts are correct, but I must ad clarifications. We must assume that a good copy of the master tape exists at 30 i.p.s., and has not physically broken down over the years. A 7-1/2 i.p.s. copy is a poor substitute!

There are also TWO mastering procedures. The first takes place in the studio; the second takes place at the vinyl or digital medium pressing plant. Mastering for vinyl is modern alchemy, part science, part art, and part "hunch". Further audio processing (read that degradation of fidelity!) was necessary to cut a commercial vinyl record. Again, were not talking about a special pressing like a 45 RPM single-sided 12" disc(s). There are many less constraints when using the original old studio master tape (assuming a good state of preservation), and doing a MODERN digital pressing master, especially if tubes are used in the chain, as Steve Hoffman of DCC does.