klipsch speakers,be honest

here's the deal,i have khorns & cornwalls,i struggled with the sound from them for what seems like a life time,i took some very sound advice from fellow ag members & it really paid off,it seems as im listening to them for the 1st time,i cant believe how good the sound is,anybody else ever been suprised by how good a pair of klipsch can sound when they are set up properly.

even if you hate klipsch speakers i can take it just dont bash them without an explaination of why you hate them,
be honest,i wont get offended.
128x128bigjoe
Joe:

I have a pair of 2002 Klipschorns and have switched back and forth between them and Martin Logans, Thiels, Audiostatics, Magnepans, Piegas and even 35k Impact Airfoils. I can say without hesitation that the Klipschorns are THE most enjoyable speaker I have ever owned. With the right equipment (Wavelength Cardinals, for example) they are as lifelike and natural as ANYTHING out there. Those who bash Klipschorns simply have not heard them set-up under optimal conditions.I am also speaking of the newer model with updated crossover and wiring. An old pair with cheap wiring and posts, etc. will necessarily be limited by such factors. This 50+ year old design is still one of the best around!
You already know how I feel Bigjoe, and I've posted those sentiments to a few of the threads I've answered on this subject. I do believe you are quite correct about the setup and the gear you are using them with. I've heard them sound utterly unlistenable if set up to their disadvatage with SS gear. Then again, there seems to be a large group of supporters like yourself and others using Vintage Klipsch speakers along with SS and having very pleasing results, so go figure. Sean has made some interesting comments about improving the cabinets with bracing to get better sound, and, as you know there are many folks out there tweaking them in other ways. My LaScala SET system seems to impress most folks, audiophile and non alike, who come and listen to it. I think it has remarkable clarity and holographic presence. I think folks who are used to a more conventional 'rounder, softer' sounding speaker (those are my non-audiophile terms), could find the vintage Klipsch sound a bit to stark and harsh at times. I'll be curious too to hear some responses to this thread. I think the longevity of the technology and design of Paul W. Klipsch is truly remarkable in a world of technology that is changing at the speed of light. Same goes for Peter Walker and Quad. These brilliant pioneers designed products that still to this day, some 50 years after they were conceived of, still sound quite wonderful when settup right. Can they be outdone......are they the best? Yes and no, respectively. Certainly tecnology now offers all kinds of advantages in computer-enhanced engineering and design. Materials and components also have changed benefiting from the same. Klipsch, the company, took a turn in the opposite direction, IMO, when Paul sold the company to his relatives many years ago, and now their offerings cater more to midfi and entry level to compete with the likes of Bose. Quad certainly seems to have used the advances in technology to build on it's original foundation and raise the bar. I wish Klipsch had gone that direction. Instead the only two remaining designs of Paul's they still sell, the Khorn and LaScala (don't know if the "Jubilee" ever made it for public sale), remain relatively unchanged, and reportedly still sound damn good. Still, for not a whole lot of money you can have a very rewarding system using old technology that doesn't give up much for it's age, and you can find it right here in the used market, or at a pawn shop or garage sale going for bargain prices and offering a very satisfying voice to a thoughfully put-together system.

Marco
I owned Heresey's and La Scalas. I loved them. But my tastes changed. They never had the detail and micro dynamics I wanted. Thus I moved to something that did--almost the opposite end of the spectrum--Electrostatics (great imaging, great micro-dynamics, but not as overall dynamic--and certainly not efficient). Anyway, I still think the older Klipsch are fabulous speakers--but they currently are not the right speaker for me, and perhaps you have come to the same conclusion.